driveshaft balancing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
driveshaft balancing

I am in nc near greensboro. I am looking for someone or a shop that can balance driveshafts?I did not find much in the yellow pages. where would I look?
thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 10:07 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
The Driveshaft shop in Salisbury NC. That is where I would be going.

Why do you think your driveshaft is out of balance.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:11 AM

is the name of it "the driveshaft shop"?
I will try to look them up.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Runnin'wita2cylhandycap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
The Driveshaft shop in Salisbury NC. That is where I would be going.

Why do you think your driveshaft is out of balance.
Great question, Have you or someone else done work to it recently?

Sumpin happen all of a sudden and it vibrates?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:17 AM

i have a vibration at 40mph. I have no idea whether or not the original person reinstalled the shaft in sync with the front. I know its not matching now. I tried moving it around. Some u joint have been replaced. When the back half was reinstalled its not in the same spot with the front. A random reinstall. I think my shake is an injector. I am having scuffy828 shop check it tomorrow. I would still like to get the shaft balanced. 100 percent sure its not matchingnow. Been pulled apart and i did not mark it for reinstall
Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
is the name of it "the driveshaft shop"?
I will try to look them up.
www.thedriveshaftshop.com is there web site.

But why do you think your driveshaft is out of ballance?

If you have a vibration I would look at your u-joints. They only cost 15 dollars each and you would need 2 or maybe 3 of them. Usually you just need two. But the one by the back of the trans or t-case depending on if the truck is 4wheeldrive and has a split shaft.

If it is a two piece or split shaft. Then you have a carrier bearing also known as the center support bearing. This goes bad too and causes the driveline to viberate. The center support bearing costs about 75 dollars to have it replaced at a shop.

So for a total of 120 dollars you could replace all of the pieces that connect the driveshaft.

Now the other problem is the big counter wieght can get mud stuck in it. Which will through the balance off. Clean it out with a garden hose.

Also a bad wheel bearing can cause driveline viberation. Or a frozen hub if you have 4wheeldrive. Tire can be out of balance can cause driveline viberation.

You need to look at all of these. Unless you have visual damage to the driveshaft.

Another thing is if the slip joint on the driveshaft gets to much play in it. This will throw the balance of the driveshaft off too. Which if this is your problem then you need a new driveshaft or rebuild the one you have.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:26 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
i have a vibration at 40mph. I have no idea whether or not the original person reinstalled the shaft in sync with the front. I know its not matching now. I tried moving it around. Some u joint have been replaced. When the back half was reinstalled its not in the same spot with the front. A random reinstall. I think my shake is an injector. I am having scuffy828 shop check it tomorrow. I would still like to get the shaft balanced. 100 percent sure its not matchingnow. Been pulled apart and i did not mark it for reinstall
I have never marked my driveshaft when removing it. It is spun balanced. Meaning it is balanced while spinning just like your tires. They do this because it spins.

Your rear driveshaft has nothing to do with your front. So it does not match up to your front. None of that matters.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Runnin'wita2cylhandycap

Quote:
Thats your problem,...just slide it out of the slip yoke and time it correctly. If that don't fix it then remove it again and turn it a half of a rotation then slip it back together (180)
Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 AM

i have allready replaced the u joints, and carrier bearing. still the same. I regreased the slip yoke but did not replace it. I do not know how to tell if its too much play.
I know an injector getting real weak can cause the shake too.
It shook with my dually wheels and also shakes with my srw's I have now. I figure a drive shaft shop if they are good will be able to tell me if some thing is bad.
I did just spin the shaft 180 and its still the same. I spoke with brian at bts trans, he says the injectors causemore shakes if they are not smooth. People come in for converters and what not to find out an injector is bad.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:35 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
subscribed... I have a similar problem and have often finding a balancing shop... I have also replaced all 3 rear u joints and put in a whole new carrier beasring assy with no avail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.