Destroker/Shorter Stroke??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Destroker/Shorter Stroke???

Sorry if you were mislead by the title. I am not trying to put a Cummins into a Ford. I am going to be building a diesel motor in the near future and I was wondering is there is a kit/crank that can shorten the stroke of a 7.3 motor? The motor will be for racing and not towing/sled pull. I thought a big bore short stroke diesel would make for a good race motor. I was wondering if there was a way to get more RPM out of the 7.3? Maybe I am stuck in car world and don't need RPM to go fast. Or is it better to build a 6.0? I see 2.0L cars spooling Holset HX35's and even 302/351W motors using 2 hx35/hy35's. They boost anywhere from 3-5K but they have 6-8K redline. So to my understanding a motor with 1/2 displacement revving to 2x RPM can utilize a similar turbo? I have been reading about people who can't get some big turbo diesels to "light". Would more RPM help? Or am I all wrong about diesels. And do i need commonrail to go fast? Does that just make the dodge/chevy diesels cheap and easy hp? And what is the difference between big HP diesels and fast diesels? I have seen some high HP trucks but some of them aren't fast at all. Is it about the torque curve? Are they dyno queens like in the car world? Anyways I am a mustang guy and now i need some diesel power so I figured I am goin powerstroke. Sorry if these questions have been answered previously but I searched the net and this great forum for about a week and found lots of info but nothing specifically answering these questions. This is a great forum and everyone seems so nice. All answers, replies, and suggestions are appreciated and that thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2007, 02:49 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Welcome to Powerstroke.org

I can't help you out much on your questions. What I can tell you is this... there are dyno queens in the diesel world just as there are in the car world. Not many of them, as the performance diesel world usually screams loud and long for timeslips to back up any dyno claim, but they do exist.

Common rail diesel injection simple makes modifications a little easier for those who have it on their engines. Those engines respond very well with only electronic tuning, and don't require the addition or changing of "hard" parts to see any initial large jump in performance.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you ABOBB. I am happy to be a member. I only hope i can get a little more info about my questions. The replies have come in at a rate slightly less than stellar. So, if some other people out there are reading through this thread please help me out. Thank you everyone.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
I again dont know the answers to your question but there is a few tech that migh know them and im sure will chime in soon. I have seen high revving diesel motors, i know that banks i think it was is making there road race truck turn 5-7K rpms. And i have also herd that the sled pullers turn there motors in the high rpms too.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:31 PM

I've seen the parts for some tractor pullers, most still run the same stroke but have custom aluminum rods in them and special crankshafts.

Remember, there is no substitute for cubic inches.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Banned

you are very much utilizing gasser ideas....this is way too much to answer on here but if you PM me...id be willing to go over diesel theory better with you on the phone sometime....
Old 04-17-2007, 09:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCow View Post
Sorry if you were mislead by the title. I am not trying to put a Cummins into a Ford. I am going to be building a diesel motor in the near future and I was wondering is there is a kit/crank that can shorten the stroke of a 7.3 motor? The motor will be for racing and not towing/sled pull. I thought a big bore short stroke diesel would make for a good race motor. I was wondering if there was a way to get more RPM out of the 7.3? Maybe I am stuck in car world and don't need RPM to go fast. Or is it better to build a 6.0? I see 2.0L cars spooling Holset HX35's and even 302/351W motors using 2 hx35/hy35's. They boost anywhere from 3-5K but they have 6-8K redline. So to my understanding a motor with 1/2 displacement revving to 2x RPM can utilize a similar turbo? I have been reading about people who can't get some big turbo diesels to "light". Would more RPM help? Or am I all wrong about diesels. And do i need commonrail to go fast? Does that just make the dodge/chevy diesels cheap and easy hp? And what is the difference between big HP diesels and fast diesels? I have seen some high HP trucks but some of them aren't fast at all. Is it about the torque curve? Are they dyno queens like in the car world? Anyways I am a mustang guy and now i need some diesel power so I figured I am goin powerstroke. Sorry if these questions have been answered previously but I searched the net and this great forum for about a week and found lots of info but nothing specifically answering these questions. This is a great forum and everyone seems so nice. All answers, replies, and suggestions are appreciated and that thanks in advance
If you're going to build a 7.3, your budget had better be huge. It is very costly to get a 7.3 to keep up with the Cummins and Duramax trucks - and i'm talking about the ones running 11's not the 10 and 9 second ones. Unless they've run quicker since I last saw, the quickest 7.3 is only at 11.2xx. You don't really have to have common rail to go fast either. The old 12v (89-98) Cummins engines have been putting out massive hp/tq numbers and the fastest diesel 1/4 times. A 6.0 would be cheaper, but it's still going to cost quite a bit. Transmissions have a lot to do with being faster or slower, as well as weight. For instance I have a manual with the strongest single disk clutch that money can buy. I have dyno'd 525hp/996tq but a guy with 75 less hp and automatic trans could likely beat me in a 1/4 drag race. The autos don't loose boost between shifts, and manuals make for long throws rowing gears. As far as weight, two trucks might lay down very comparable numbers, but if one outweights the other by a significant margin he's likely to lose out in the quarter. Like you said, you've seen high hp trucks that are slow. What do you consider "high" horse in a diesel? A few years ago 500 was likely to awe people, but now 650+ seems to be the more magical number to start wowing people. There are several well beyond that, as well as several 1000+ Cummins diesels and at least 1 Duramax (NastyGirl) that I know of. I think it also depends on the engine. If it's a 7.3 500 can really turn some heads, but in a Cummins or Duramax it is not the biggest surprise, the bar is just so high now. The highest 7.3 numbers i've read of are Dockboy's 700+ on nitrous, not sure about 6.0 numbers. 500+ psd's seem to be few and far between. But don't let it discourage you, if it's what you want to do then go for it.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey, thanks to everyone for the replies. And thank you to Marc for the offer. I will definitely take you up on that. Yeah I suppose I still have a gasser's mentality. I figured I would start my mods with some high performance spark plugs for my diesel. But seriously, I have learned a little bit. And 9973stroker you seem to have confirmed the fears that were conjured up while researching. That a powerstroke could be relatively expensive and the dodge/chevy guys have more proven combos and things. But when life hands you lemons... On the bright side I look forward to doing some things people haven't tried yet and maybe a good thing will happen. It seems that I read on this forum about a powerstroke pulling truck with what looked like a compound turbo setup that was making 1500HP and 1800+lbs of torque. Maybe I made that up but I swore I read it. It was also stated that the truck had $100K+ in it. I don't know if this power translates to a fast truck though. So the potential is there, but sometimes ingenuity must be substituted for monetary prowess. Or maybe lack of resources necessitates ingenuity. Yeah, I am getting of the topic. Well, I am going powerstroke for sure and I remain optimistic. Any other replies, info, and help is still appreciated. Please keep the responses coming.
Thank you all very much
Old 04-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Strokin' In Dixie-Land

I've only had my PSD 3 months. I will say this about it. I am amazed at the power that mine has. All that I have done to it is put a 4" exhaust and a long radius intake elbow on it. That helped it a little more. I also have a module (chip) to install on it. From all that I read on this site, you can get some very serious power without going inside the engine. That, however, may not be the answer you seek.
Anyway, to POWERSTROKE.ORG
Old 04-18-2007, 09:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCow View Post
Hey, thanks to everyone for the replies. And thank you to Marc for the offer. I will definitely take you up on that. Yeah I suppose I still have a gasser's mentality. I figured I would start my mods with some high performance spark plugs for my diesel. But seriously, I have learned a little bit. And 9973stroker you seem to have confirmed the fears that were conjured up while researching. That a powerstroke could be relatively expensive and the dodge/chevy guys have more proven combos and things. But when life hands you lemons... On the bright side I look forward to doing some things people haven't tried yet and maybe a good thing will happen. It seems that I read on this forum about a powerstroke pulling truck with what looked like a compound turbo setup that was making 1500HP and 1800+lbs of torque. Maybe I made that up but I swore I read it. It was also stated that the truck had $100K+ in it. I don't know if this power translates to a fast truck though. So the potential is there, but sometimes ingenuity must be substituted for monetary prowess. Or maybe lack of resources necessitates ingenuity. Yeah, I am getting of the topic. Well, I am going powerstroke for sure and I remain optimistic. Any other replies, info, and help is still appreciated. Please keep the responses coming.
Thank you all very much
Well like I said don't let it discourage you. It may take quite a bit of money and all but the end product could be very rewarding if you willing to invest the time and money.
As for the 1500hp PSD, are you sure it didn't have a Cummins in it? I know there is some guy name BBunting has a built stroker for pulling, but I don't know the numbers he is laying down. I don't know about a 1500hp stroker, I think that if there was one that everyone would know abot it. Can you get a link to the thread you found that in?
Here's a thread on a few interesting trucks:
Hook 'em up...you may not believe this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.