rear end clunk spicer 80 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
rear end clunk spicer 80

I was fixing my truck all day today. I decided to listen for the rear driveline clunk. I had my wife get in and go from reverse to drive and back etc etc.
It really sounds like its coming from the rear end, right around the yoke. I was totally under it while she was doing this, its not the tranny area.
It also seems to sometimes clunk when i am about to come to a stop.
I have greased the slip joint and real confident its not that. U joints are newand a new carrier bearing. I have no whine going down the road. I dont have a dial indicator, is there a way i can eterming if its either ring an pinion or the bearing for it? I used a pry bar and it does not appear to have up and down play(yoke)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 02:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like axle wrap to me. Ladder bars will get rid of that. There's a write-up on here about doing them with top end links.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:46 PM

whats axle wrap? can you explain? This is my 3rd dana 80 rear. One was wsted, the other in my wifes dually. Hers clunks into gear too. I think its the rear. I am starting to think that since theres no crush sleeve, its shimmed to a spec. That thats not completely tight. Allowing for a clunk???
Whats axle wrap? How could it be from idling and going rev to drive and back? Its not a clunk under power over bumps or 4 wheelin?
Old 02-25-2010, 04:19 PM

you guys that take these apart, think its clunky due to the use of spacers wrather then crush sleeves?
Old 02-26-2010, 12:49 AM

Axle wrap is caused by the torque about the axle that the rotation of the driveshaft causes while turning. And yes, it can happen from a stop, as you have an automatic transmission, so the rear driveshaft is effectively always engaged. just imagine the rear axle as a pivot point and this causes the pinion to rotate up when in reverse and down when in drive. Thus the clunk you hear is the tangs on the yoke. Depending upon how many miles are on your truck, this is partially due to the springs softening over time. Ford uses the rear leafs to locate the axle and control the wrap from the factory, and as the springs fatigue, the effects of axle wrap become more marked with age. I hope this clears up any confusion.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:11 AM

whats this mean "Thus the clunk you hear is the tangs on the yoke"
I understand the force of the shaft. I get the pinion yoke being forced up and down depending on whether in forward or reverse. But exactly what is the noise from? what two parts hitting? I was thinking ring and pinion area?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:58 AM

By tangs, I mean the ears on the yoke.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:08 AM

whats hitting what? this noise i hear is something hitting something?I was under it last nite and my wife shifted it back and forth. It was the rear end, somewhere? I dont doubt its the pinion, but itsnot hitting the flooror anything.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 AM

The yoke on the pinion side is contacting the yoke on the driveshaft. If it is in fact axle wrap, it will occur under hard acceleration also. It's not really a big deal, so long as it's not excessive. If it is, and you're running a lot of power, you run the risk of snapping the pinion shaft. But like I said, ladder/traction bars will mitigate, if not eliminate it altogether.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.