Turbo upgrade..best bang for the buck?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo upgrade..best bang for the buck??

Yeah...it's me again..will the questions never end??(doubt it) Anyway, I'm trying to put together a list of upgrades I can do, whenever the money becomes available, which, after catching up on the bills, may happen around the end of the NEXT Ice Age. I'm starting out the list with a basic turbo upgrade. Mind you that with my Beastie (E550, auto, 13350 EMPTY WEIGHT!) I'm NOT after busting the tires, or blowin' lots of black smoke, which is unburned fuel (unburned fuel which costs me nearly 3 bucks a gallon) nor am I after smokin' some schythead in a nissan. What I AM looking for is a simple, yet effiecient upgrade over the stock turbo..which I understand basically sucks at best. To this point, I don't "think" I've experienced the dreaded turbo surge, but then again, since I'm not really sure just what it is, I've probably had it and not realized it LOL...Ignorance really Is bliss..LOL.
Any ideas/recommendations that I could do myself, and that doesn't cost a months wages(pre or post taxes) would be of tremendous help. The end result I'm trying to achieve here is as great an increase in mileage as possible while perhaps gaining some power and torque along the way.
Thanks guys.
PS..Look for other questions I'm posting as to needed recommendations for other upgrades planned on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Bumping it up for another try..
Old 04-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Hmm not sure you really need to do anything to your turbo. You already have the bigger exhaust housing, so you probobly won't experience surge. Also your exhaust housing I believe is non wastegated so your good to go there. My recomemdation is to leave it stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.