Edge Upgrade to Gryphon from PHP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Edge Upgrade to Gryphon from PHP

Hey guys,
I have a '00 Excursion 7.3l that came with an Edge evo....Im unhappy with the edge, the shifting with the thing turned on makes me cringe. So I just looked at PHP's website for the quick select Phoenix system. I like it but I can't afford gauges and a chip at the moment. Has anyone utilized the Gryphon Upgrade? good or bad I would like to learn more. Im looking for a Stock, Tow, Race, and Smoke or 100hp tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 10:55 AM

I am looking into this as well, because I'm basically in the same situation with my 99 f350. From reading PHP's site i believe the tunes they put on the "gryphon" tuner are exactly the same tunes as they put on their 6pos chips, different being 3 custom tunes instead of 6, and u can not switch them on the fly.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
I would definately recommend gauges first
Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yah, Exactly, I would love to have the tune on the fly but, can't go that route at the moment. Actually, really what I want is the increased HP with Fuel Economy, With the Addition that I'm Running 37 inch tires and need to change gears to alleviate other Transmission stress. But that's another story all together. The Edge just seems too risky for that setting at the moment. Not trying to turn this into an Edge bashing thread though.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-tel-in View Post
I would definately recommend gauges first
Does the Evo not provide accurate enough information to put my motor in jeopardy??? Also Does anyone know what the programming life of one of these PCM's is before you cant write to it anymore? Im assuming its allot like other chips in computers.

Last edited by nowheeler; 02-23-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 PM

I have been running my evolution on level 3 for a while now although I have a rebuilt tranny with some upgrades. I use my evolution for the gauges, seems accurate enough for me.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
PHP has been upgrading Edge Evo's to Gryphoons on F-150s for a long time now...
Old 02-23-2010, 08:18 PM

On My F-150 I run the Gryphon from PHP. Bill and Corey are awsome people just email them or give em a ring. May take a day or two for a email or a few times calling. They are busy two man show. Yet great people and great products!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowheeler View Post
Hey guys,
I have a '00 Excursion 7.3l that came with an Edge evo....Im unhappy with the edge, the shifting with the thing turned on makes me cringe. So I just looked at PHP's website for the quick select Phoenix system. I like it but I can't afford gauges and a chip at the moment. Has anyone utilized the Gryphon Upgrade? good or bad I would like to learn more. Im looking for a Stock, Tow, Race, and Smoke or 100hp tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Muscle View Post
I am looking into this as well, because I'm basically in the same situation with my 99 f350. From reading PHP's site i believe the tunes they put on the "gryphon" tuner are exactly the same tunes as they put on their 6pos chips, different being 3 custom tunes instead of 6, and u can not switch them on the fly.

My dad passed away on Sunday, and our office will be closed Wednesday through Monday or Tuesday while we're in Missouri for his funeral. If you'd like to send me an e-mail (corey@phptune.com) with your phone number, I'd be happy to have Bill give you a shout, or you can try us next week when we get back.

Last edited by Groovy Chick; 02-23-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:57 PM

I have Bill's Gryphon on my 7.3 and while I am still working on a issue with him, the truck really woke up with his tunes. I recommend sending your unit to them and see what type of tune he can write you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.