Carrier Bear question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 07:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Carrier Bear question

I'm going to change the carrier bearing this weekend...once you disconnect the rear portion of the driveshaft to gain access to the big nutso you can slide the yoke piece off..Is it okay to leave it in park to prevent the driveshaft from spinning while using a breaker bar to loosen the nut? Im guessing the parking pawl can handlethe force since when you put the truck in park the weight of the truck is on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli200369 View Post
I'm going to change the carrier bearing this weekend...once you disconnect the rear portion of the driveshaft to gain access to the big nutso you can slide the yoke piece off..Is it okay to leave it in park to prevent the driveshaft from spinning while using a breaker bar to loosen the nut? Im guessing the parking pawl can handlethe force since when you put the truck in park the weight of the truck is on it?
Once you remove the drive shaft, it will roll wheteher it is in park or not because the shaft is removed and there is nothing to keep the rear diff. from turning. Are you replacing the carrier bearing that mounts to the cross member that supports the drive shaft?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 AM

I think the OP wants to use the parking pawl in the trans to resist the torque of him removing a big nut on the driveshaft. Sure would stink if you broke it. Would an impact gun be better?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbeam View Post
I think the OP wants to use the parking pawl in the trans to resist the torque of him removing a big nut on the driveshaft. Sure would stink if you broke it. Would an impact gun be better?
That's right. I'm going to use an impact but I'm not sure the one I have is powerful enough to bust that free...if worse came to worse I would use the parking pawl to resist it. I'm pretty sure the pawl is strong...if you parked the truck on a hill without using the parking brake I would guess it is a pretty big load on the pawl..probably more then I am putting on it?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 AM

Well I have a 1/2" IR impact and that was like me trying to turn it by hand. I ended up breaking (2) 1/2" break over bars and my vice trying to get that nut off. I ended up buying a new vise and some 3/4" sockets and breakover bar to get it off. I figure if I could break all that then I could have broken the parking pawl as well
Old 02-23-2010, 09:49 AM

My 2000 F-250 4x4 PSD didn't have any type of a nut retaining the yoke, I dropped the front of the driveshaft only and simply pulled the slip joint with the front section of the driveshaft and the carrier bearing with it, it is important to mark the driveshaft sections to reassemble exactly as it was taken apart...Fred
Old 02-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbols View Post
Well I have a 1/2" IR impact and that was like me trying to turn it by hand. I ended up breaking (2) 1/2" break over bars and my vice trying to get that nut off. I ended up buying a new vise and some 3/4" sockets and breakover bar to get it off. I figure if I could break all that then I could have broken the parking pawl as well
Thanks for the heads up..Maybe I will have to remove the damn thing...
Old 02-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbeam View Post
I was confused for a bit!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 AM

For some people it comes off with just an impact but if your luck is like mine your going to have to take it off
Old 02-24-2010, 11:08 AM

haha...is the nut reverse threaded? How many lbs of torque do you have to tighten it back at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.