Manual locking hubs? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 01:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Manual locking hubs?

Hey guy's, my 2000 f350 has manual locking hubs. If I leave the hubs locked all the time with the 4x4 switch in 2hi will it hurt anything in the front end other than my fuel mileage? I like the idea of being able to just flip the switch to got to 4hi, like for instance - at a stop light with a rice burner next to me. I don't want to hurt the truck though, if I can't keep them in lock position, does anyone know how I can convert to autolocking hubs? thanks in advance for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2007, 02:22 PM
M4 in my tool box

might be auto lock

I very well may be wrong, but my truck has the manual locking hubs, but even with my hubs in free, when i turn my dash swutch over to 4hi she locks in by herself! regaurdless of hub postion. now if you have a stick on the floor that is a whole different story. like i said, i could very well be wrong!
Old 04-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullinpower7.3 View Post
I very well may be wrong, but my truck has the manual locking hubs, but even with my hubs in free, when i turn my dash swutch over to 4hi she locks in by herself! regaurdless of hub postion. now if you have a stick on the floor that is a whole different story. like i said, i could very well be wrong!
you have the auto-loc hubs... its setting are either locked or auto....i leave mine on auto all the time but i would upgrade to the warn premium hubs.. they are much better but you will have to get out of your vehicle to lock them when you want 4wd
Old 04-13-2007, 02:35 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
You CAN keep your hubs in the LOCK position if you want. All that is going to happen is, your going to see a little worse MPG, and your going to wear your bearings out a little faster in the front.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the info. I didn't even notice the hubs said auto, all I saw was locked. I do have the switch on the dash, so I will try it out to see if it engages automatically. Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:38 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
They should lock automatically when you flip the switch. If not, we will discuss vaccuum issues.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Locking hubs

If you lock the hubs the axle shaft will always spin on the front axles. If you have auto locking hubs when you put it in 4X4 a vacuum will pull on the hubs and automatically place the truck in 4X4. If your truck has miles on it then the auto hubs may not work but a screwed up vent switch will tell you that...air only out of the defroster. I would not lock my hubs all the time...more wear on the front axel shaft bearings.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:43 AM

Thanks guy's, I tried it out and the auto works fine. The words Auto on the hubs are just worn so I couldn't tell if they were auto locking. Tried it out on the sand, I'm glad I don't have to get out and lock hubs all the time now. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

just be careful putting it in 4x4 without locking the hubs cause i found that it causes lots of tire slippage, definitely not as efficient as manually locking the hubs, at least this is the case on our '02 excursion... in the snow or ice or anything it doesn't work nearly as good as getting out and lockin them then throwin it in 4x4
Old 05-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, question for everyone: Has anyone had problems with the auto locking hubs acting on their own and locking or trying to lock while the vehicle is in motion? The other day I was driving in 2H and all of a sudden I had a couple of pretty good thumps from under the front end. Thankfully I was only going 35 MPH or so. Pulled over to the side of the road and noticed my front axle / drive shaft was turning even though my transfer case was still in 2H. Limped it home and when I got it in the drive, noticed the front axle / drive shaft was no longer turning again and no noise. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. BTW, have a 1994 F-250 Lariat with tow package / 4WD and powerstroke with 5 speed manual. I don't have a switch where I can set the hubs to auto. Only thing is my transfer case shifter. When I put it in 4WD, the hubs auto lock. No external lock mechanism on the front hubs. BTW, doing some reading and wondering about something else I've noticed. When starting up and it's cold I've noticed that I have a air leak noise coming from the dash area. Seems I notice it when I'm loping it along after starting cold. If I stand on the diesel pedal, it goes away until the engine catches up with it. After shutting off, I notice it too. Just wondering if maybe this has something to do with my auto locker issue as well?

Bryant

Last edited by bbaecht; 05-04-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.