Yet another hard starting issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 06:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yet another hard starting issue

HI,
I've got a 2000 that is hard starting, or not starting. It has good glo plugs, good current draw during heating, but the wait light only stays on for about 20 seconds or less when it is about 15 degrees out. Does it think it is 45 degrees out?

When I try to start, it seems to fire a little, but acts like it is not getting enough fuel to start. As I keep trying it acts the same, fires a little, but no start. No smoke out the exhaust as you might expect if it was getting fuel and not starting.

So what's next? It seems to run fine when it gets going. It will start easily if it's plugged in.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by awschucks; 02-17-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 07:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the truck starts fine plugged in, it ussually is a GP system issue. Or tired injectors that are having a hard time with cold thick oil. Try 5-40 and see if that helps. I'd bet on a GP system issue tho.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

HI,

The temp is currently 19 degrees here in Minnesota

I believe the glo plugs are OK. They are drawing around 150 amps, but I just timed how long they stay on and they are only on for 18 seconds. The light clicks off in about 10, but the GPR switches off in 18 seconds. I tried turning the key on and the off and on for several cycles and still no start. When I try to start it, it will kind of run when the starter is engaged, but again it seems to be running lean. In my expereince, when a diesel starts to fire it will eventually start, but this one seems to be starving for fuel, based on little or no smoke from the exhaust. Is the amount of fuel being injected during start up controlled by the engine computer? If so, I suspect it is getting a wrong temp input from some sensor.
It has new GP's, new relay and new harness. When it starts, it seems to run fine which I assume will rule out injectors.

Update: I finally got it started, but it was a new experience. It would run at about 800 rpm with the starter. Finally, it ran on it's own, but would only run up to about 1500 rpm at full throttle. No smoke at all from the exhaust, again indicating to me that it is running lean. After about 5 minutes it was running somewhat normal, but way down on power. I let it idle for 20 minutes and now it is running great.

Thanks for any tips,
Dave

Last edited by awschucks; 02-16-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:33 PM

Check the GPR. 9 out of 10 times thats the problem with cold starts.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would guess that GPR is working as I measure almost 150 amps going thru it. It's new, the glo plugs are new and the wiring is new.

DAve
Old 02-16-2010, 12:40 PM
names liz <3 Camoprincess

Send a message via AIM to famousamos0901
maybe your fuel is gelling.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=awschucks;1718379]I would guess that GPR is working as I measure almost 150 amps going thru it. It's new, the glo plugs are new and the wiring is new.

Dave if your sure the GPR and plugs are intact then your problem may be more serious. JIC I would check the filter, if that checks out then you could be looking at fuel pump or high pressure oil pump issues.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:05 PM

I've had the same issue. Get ur injectors checked. Just changed mine now it starts fine. Even though it runs fine when warm, the clearances inside the injector are shot. The problem with it not running over 1500 rpm it won't till the engine gets to a certain operation temp. Does ur truck ever run really poorly then all of a sudden it wakes up. The buzz test will not show if the clearances are worn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.