Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Yet another hard starting issue

680 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  captivahach 
#1 · (Edited)
HI,
I've got a 2000 that is hard starting, or not starting. It has good glo plugs, good current draw during heating, but the wait light only stays on for about 20 seconds or less when it is about 15 degrees out. Does it think it is 45 degrees out?

When I try to start, it seems to fire a little, but acts like it is not getting enough fuel to start. As I keep trying it acts the same, fires a little, but no start. No smoke out the exhaust as you might expect if it was getting fuel and not starting.

So what's next? It seems to run fine when it gets going. It will start easily if it's plugged in.

Thanks,
Dave

#2 ·
If the truck starts fine plugged in, it ussually is a GP system issue. Or tired injectors that are having a hard time with cold thick oil. Try 5-40 and see if that helps. I'd bet on a GP system issue tho.

#3 · (Edited)
HI,

The temp is currently 19 degrees here in Minnesota

I believe the glo plugs are OK. They are drawing around 150 amps, but I just timed how long they stay on and they are only on for 18 seconds. The light clicks off in about 10, but the GPR switches off in 18 seconds. I tried turning the key on and the off and on for several cycles and still no start. When I try to start it, it will kind of run when the starter is engaged, but again it seems to be running lean. In my expereince, when a diesel starts to fire it will eventually start, but this one seems to be starving for fuel, based on little or no smoke from the exhaust. Is the amount of fuel being injected during start up controlled by the engine computer? If so, I suspect it is getting a wrong temp input from some sensor.
It has new GP's, new relay and new harness. When it starts, it seems to run fine which I assume will rule out injectors.

Update: I finally got it started, but it was a new experience. It would run at about 800 rpm with the starter. Finally, it ran on it's own, but would only run up to about 1500 rpm at full throttle. No smoke at all from the exhaust, again indicating to me that it is running lean. After about 5 minutes it was running somewhat normal, but way down on power. I let it idle for 20 minutes and now it is running great.

Thanks for any tips,
Dave

#4 ·
Check the GPR. 9 out of 10 times thats the problem with cold starts.

#7 ·
I would guess that GPR is working as I measure almost 150 amps going thru it. It's new, the glo plugs are new and the wiring is new.

Dave if your sure the GPR and plugs are intact then your problem may be more serious. JIC I would check the filter, if that checks out then you could be looking at fuel pump or high pressure oil pump issues.

#6 ·
maybe your fuel is gelling.

#8 ·
I've had the same issue. Get ur injectors checked. Just changed mine now it starts fine. Even though it runs fine when warm, the clearances inside the injector are shot. The problem with it not running over 1500 rpm it won't till the engine gets to a certain operation temp. Does ur truck ever run really poorly then all of a sudden it wakes up. The buzz test will not show if the clearances are worn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.