Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

how strong are the front tow hooks?

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  jethro 
#1 ·
i know they have 3 bolts holding em down. but if i put chains on both of em and lift up, will they hold up the front with out issues?

#2 ·
i dont forsee you having an issue there... after all they use just one of them towhooks to drag these trucks up some serious hills and through some serious crap with a wrecker. in all reality, lifting with both is putting less strain on them than doing what wrecker operators do to them

#3 ·
Are you thinking of lifting the front with a tractor to get it unstuck? :poke
I'd say you'll be okay, just use some good chains or slings. Block under the wheels and set it down (and keep your valuable body parts from under the truck.) I wouldn't try to lift and pull at the same time, it may overload the hooks design.

#4 ·
i've used them to do a spring swap with a engine hoist no prob

#6 ·
Well just this week I had a big John Deere pick me up out of a ditch by the passenger towhook alone - no problems. Obviously only one wheel off the ground, but I was in a big ditch with snow above the hood.

#8 ·
I've jacked the front of my truck up the hook no problems

#9 ·
the plan is to put chains on both hooks and use a backhoe. then lift it straigh up to get some ramps underneath the front tires. whats holding my truck up is the front axle is "in the mud" rather on it. i had one hook with a chain on a hi-lift and lifted the front bumper off the ground like 6". stopped there to stop any twisting if any.

#10 ·
they will hold i had quite a few trucks hooked together trying to get a tri axle unstuck and it picked up my dads old gasser 250 and it bent the hooks a lil but they held together :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.