What if my coolant has never been changed? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What if my coolant has never been changed?

Hi, I am a recent owner of a 2000 superduty 7.3. I did not get any maintenance info with the truck and the original owner had passed away so i was buying from someone unfamiliar.

I am worried that my coolant has never been changed(truck has 110,000 miles on it).

Before i change the coolant I would like to determine if there is any damage to the engine. Would i be able to get some test strips to see what the coolant quality is? How could i tell if it was changed or not?

My truck has the green coolant in it.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

bump for ya wouldnt mind knowing myself
Old 02-13-2010, 06:54 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Your stressing about coolant. There is a specific gravity test you can do. This test tells you how good your coolant is. Basically letting you know how cold your antifreeze is good before it starts freezing.

Now back when automobiles were first made. They used straight water for coolant. They did not have antifreeze to add to the water.

I would not stress over any damage. But what I would do if you are concerned with it. Is flush the system and refill with new coolant.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

The factory coolant is green as far as I know. Never had anything else in mine. There is an additive that is supposed to go in it that can be tested for with strips, but I doubt with that mileage there are any problems. Mine had never been changed until almost 140,000 and nothing bad has reared it's head. The only thing I would remotely worry about is if it didn't have the anti cavitation additive in it. Even then you wouldn't know if there were any problems without seeing the cylinder walls.
-Aaron
Old 02-13-2010, 07:07 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
210,000 miles on my truck. No additive in the coolant. No probelms with it over heating or causing damage.

I did the water pump around 175,000 miles. It was not damaged from not having the additive. It was wore out.

I never even heard about cavitation til I joined this site. I am a trained diesel mechanic too. In fact the 7 years as a Diesel Mechanic while in the Marines. We never used an additive to prevent Cavitation.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:12 PM

All wet sleeve deisel's should have the additive, you will only see the damage from no additive on the sleeves themselves. Cavitaion occurs on the sleeve walls, no other parts will show. additive is needed on a regular basis.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

Yup, what countryraised said. I had never heard of it until I joined this site. Since then I have seen/heard of it in multiple places (Repair manuals, text books, forums, coolant bottles, etc). I just don't think I ever paid any attention before. Many diesel/fleet coolants already have the additive in them. The Motorcraft Gold does not. Regardless, problems from cavitation don't happen in a day. Chances are, you will never even know you have an issue with it until it is too late. I know plenty of people that didn't know about the additive and show no signs of problems and have since started using it. Do I want to chance it instead of buying an $8 bottle of additive....Nope, not this guy. That being said, I highly doubt the OP will have any problems from coolant. Just change/flush it out and press on.
-Aaron
Old 02-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks everyone. I was just worried about cavitation. I need to do a 1000 k trip in a day or two with no time to change.

So should I just buy some additive from ford and toss it in for the trip?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:19 AM
Premium Member

Before you just dump some in, you might try and find some of the strips to test for the additive. Mine doesn't seem to "use" much additive over time, so if it had it put in there at one time, it's probably fine. Hard to say without testing first, I guess it would be a crap shoot.
-Aaron
Old 02-14-2010, 05:35 AM

Where do I get this additive and how much do I need to a flush/change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.