Upgrade Advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade Advice

Bought a 2001 F350 dully 7.3 diesel longbed it's primary job will be to pull my 27' pocket cabin cruiser. 8000.00 pounds, with supplies/fuel/? maybe add 2000.00 . Other jobs will be done of course.

Looks almost off the showroom new, already has big exhaust. Owner said it had upgraded fuel injectors modified to add 40 horse power "can't check that".

But I have found problems. The up-pipes are leaking and will need to be fixed. no boost at all cruising at highway speeds and exhaust temperature is 800 degrees unloaded on the highway. Step on it and it rises rapidly to 1200. Boost will go to 23 when in it hard. Turbo probably not producing at low speed because of leaks.

When I go after the leaks I will check the turbo and if I find problems will probably upgrade the turbo, question is which one? or just add upgrade housings to the one I have. I would like a good improvement in efficiency around town unloaded and of course power to tow.

After the supercharging system is fixed will probably add a DP Tuner but I wonder if there is a flash programmer that has as good a set of tunes? I don't really need 16 tunes. Economy for unloaded around town, tune for towing and a power tune would be fine.

The HPOP is another mod I am considering reading the reports about it even on unmodified injectors.

Already have an Autoenginuity checker for diagnostics but I could use the target numbers for hpop duty cycle and any other numbers that are significant. It passes the cylinder contribution tests but idle seems a bit rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The 7.3 doesn't always run alot of boost. At cruising speeds on the highway you may not see any at all without a load until you punch it or hit a hill. If you're thinking you may have boost leaks have a look at the boots on your intercooler pipes. Those don't like oil and can also lose boost from leaks in them that may be hard to see. If you take off the intake hose form your turbo you can check endplay of the impeller and see if its dusted. Several good turbos out there if you do decide to replace it. The only one I have experience with is the BD, it works great for me. You don't have to fill all 16 positions if you do want a DP Tuner. Some people only choose a couple. There are several other good tuners for the 7.3 out there though and can get you just a few good tunes for cheaper if that's all you need. Others will chime in that can help you alot more than me. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the new dually!
Old 02-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I guess I should clarify, the leak is pressure on the exhaust side noticeable by the large amount of soot on the connectors of the up pipes where the doughnuts go. I will have the turbo off to look at it when I replace them.

The experience I have with diesels is my 84 VW Jetta diesel turbo that holds 5 psi on the highway and heads for 10 with any added power. My 6.5 chevy pickup has a pyrometer also and on the highway at 65 shows 400 degrees of egt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.