Cleaning fuel bowl questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cleaning fuel bowl questions

I have seen a FEW post before talking about cleaning out the fuel bowl. Well, everytime I change my fuel filter I cringe at the gunk in there, but I am not sure how to clean it out. I guess I would have to remove it to clean it out good? Any favored chemicals or tools for this job? I am afraid that if it isn't perfect that some of the gunk might find it's way to my injectors after it is disturbed. What do you guys think?
-Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Pull it off? idk
Old 02-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

At least I'm not the only one that doesn't know. I've been wondering about it for awhile, but I was reading this thread over on PHP's forums

Adrenaline + Overdrive = Overkill? I think NOT! - Power Hungry Performance Forum

and saw he mentioned cleaning out a really dirty fuel bowl. I decided I needed to do something about mine. I suppose I could ask over there, but I figure he is busy enough with money making projects and someone around here should know.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:41 PM

When I fixed my bowl heater I cleaned mine with q-tips and rags around a socket extension(to get down there good). Cleaned up really well.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

That stuff isn't stuck on the metal real bad? I can handle that. A rag/Q-tips and some carb cleaner in the end to make sure anything loose is washed out? I guess I better find some o-ring and get on it soon. It is driving me nuts knowing it is that dirty. haha
-Aaron
Old 02-11-2010, 06:57 PM

Ok-don't laugh,but feel free to raise an eyebrow or two,what I found that works pretty good for me is draining down the bowl and taking a piece of small soft copper pipe (like 1/4 or 5/16 o.d.) and using my shop vac(with bag and pleat filter) and using my hand to seal around vac tube and it sucks all that junk right out and works great because it's all loose! -the bowl is empty so you're not pulling any fuel into the vac and blowing anything up.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:23 PM

I cleaned mine like this: get a rag and soak up all the diesel in it then crank up the air compressor. Covers the engine in diesel but it washes off fine with some degreaser. Mine was NAAASSSTY. cleaned up real good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.