Locking hubs vs fulltime - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Location: Colorado Springs for 2 weeks and Parachute CO the other 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Locking hubs vs fulltime

As I have stated I am considering an 2000 f-250 PSD 7.3 and I have concerns. the 194k+ miles is one. the truck appears to be well maintained, the interior is emacculate and engine looks and sounds good. My friends both have 6.0 PSD's 1 is an 03 the other is an 04 the 04 came with locking hubs the 03 has after market Warn locking hubs. This particular 2000 7.3 has full time hubs and I was wondering if the 7.3 came with an option. the manufacture date is 03/2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not sure what you mean by full time hubs...? AUTO hubs? They all came with locking hubs, but I head the Warn hubs are the best replacement. I plan to get the Warn hubs when mine fail.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:02 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The 7.3 came with the autolocking hubs which let you turn on your 4x4 without getting out and locking in the hubs, even though you could also lock them in manually. It also came with regular lockouts and the transfercase lever on the floor. The Warn hubs are a common replacement for the factory lockouts that don't seem to last. I don't know of any full time hubs?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:07 PM

If it has the switch on the dash then you have shift on the fly 4x4, which means you have the auto-hub function. Warn hubs are about the best replacement there is out there for the money. The only thing abou them is that if you have the shift on the fly hubs and you put warns in then you have to get out and lock the hubs and cap off a vaccum line on the passanger fire wall that would normally go to the factory ford hubs.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by choupique108 View Post
If it has the switch on the dash then you have shift on the fly 4x4, which means you have the auto-hub function. Warn hubs are about the best replacement there is out there for the money. The only thing abou them is that if you have the shift on the fly hubs and you put warns in then you have to get out and lock the hubs and cap off a vaccum line on the passanger fire wall that would normally go to the factory ford hubs.
thanks for the terminology lesson confusing full time with auto been driving an AWD to long. the deal on the 2000 PSD is not going to happen won't budge from 14899 with 194K on the odometer. jsut makes me better informed when I do find my PSD.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
The 7.3 came with the autolocking hubs which let you turn on your 4x4 without getting out and locking in the hubs, even though you could also lock them in manually. It also came with regular lockouts and the transfercase lever on the floor. The Warn hubs are a common replacement for the factory lockouts that don't seem to last. I don't know of any full time hubs?
thanks for the clarification been driving an AWD too long. looks like I won't be buying the PSD I was looking at way to much $$$$. Helps me down the road when I do find my PSD
Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispaine View Post
Not sure what you mean by full time hubs...? AUTO hubs? They all came with locking hubs, but I head the Warn hubs are the best replacement. I plan to get the Warn hubs when mine fail.
Thanks for the info. It will help me down the road, not buying the 2000, but my day will come.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

JFYI
194K on a well maintained 7.3 isn't terrible and it still has a lot of life left in it. You have to expect normal things to wear out, brakes, water pump, ball joints, etc... But the engine can go well over 500K, I have seen plenty and one aproaching the 900K mark with no engine problems. The 2000 is also the most desireable by many because it is the last year with forged rods.
The ESOF system gets a bad rap on forums , but it is actually a decent system if you do proper maintenance which most people don't, so they don't find out it isn't working until they are stuck some place and have to get out and manually lock the hubs. Mine has always worked as designed, but I have had to maintain the vacuum lines which split where they slip over the nipple on the back of the hub.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:03 AM

Dont be scared of what looks like high mileage on a 7.3 if it received regular (and documented) maintenance. I have a buddy that has a 7.3 in a tow truck - he has over 1.4M miles on his. Highest I have ever heard of - but as NCHornet stated - 500K+ on these engines isnt unheard of.

All vehicles, regardless of brand, have parts that wear out. All parts have a service life. Once that part wears and is replaced - its life restarts essentially. But the core of the engine - the 7.3 itself is a well known workhorse of an engine.

Likewise the 6.0's are fantastic too! A bit more work to maintain them and a few systems to get rid of or upgrade like studding it and delete the EGR system - but other then that - it too is a fantastic hard working engine.

Good luck with your search and dont hesitate to ask any questions on here.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
JFYI
194K on a well maintained 7.3 isn't terrible and it still has a lot of life left in it. You have to expect normal things to wear out, brakes, water pump, ball joints, etc... But the engine can go well over 500K, I have seen plenty and one aproaching the 900K mark with no engine problems. The 2000 is also the most desireable by many because it is the last year with forged rods.
The ESOF system gets a bad rap on forums , but it is actually a decent system if you do proper maintenance which most people don't, so they don't find out it isn't working until they are stuck some place and have to get out and manually lock the hubs. Mine has always worked as designed, but I have had to maintain the vacuum lines which split where they slip over the nipple on the back of the hub.
Excellent information I appreciate it. I would love to purchase the 2000 I was looking at they just won't budge from 14,9000. Nice to know about the the forged rods and that 2000 is the last year. My buddy rattlesnake18 wasn't sure what year Ford switched. Also the heads up on the ESOF vacuum lines is golden. Won't sweat the mileage as long as they produce service records.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.