question about boost guage and map line - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 11:50 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
question about boost guage and map line

I'm installing a boost gauge on my truck. I have a "vacuum/boost" gauge that seems to be on a continuum - if there's vacuum, it goes "0 to-20" and if there's boost it goes to "0 to +30". It's a cheapie I picked up awhile back from Pep Boys, I think. It's only got one input line. Is there any problem using this for a boost gauge? I'm trying to verify if I've got boost and don't want to spend the cash on good gauges til I get the truck running right.

My other question is re: the map line. From the great writeup at Stealth Automotive (http://stealth-automotive.com/docume...%20Install.pdf) I figured out the map line is a line I had to cut the tip off and shorten it, because it was leaking. Now it's a bit short. I'm thinking I should replace this line. What type of hose do I need to replace it with? Is there special vacuum hose, or just heater hose of the same diameter?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 12:05 PM

Diesels dont create vacuum. Vacuum is measured at the throttle body, which diesels dont have. Any vacuum line will work to replace your map line.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:59 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You shouldn't need to install a guage to verify that you have boost. That should be noticable while driving. Without boost the truck is a dog and difficult to drive. Having a boost tube blow off will show you quickly what these trucks are like without the turbo.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:07 PM

I tried to install my cheap boost/vacuum gauge from PepBoys and ran into problems - the hard plastic hosing that came with the gauge is only about 2.5 feet long - nowhere near long enough to go from the map lie to the gauge in the truck. Also, the plastic hosing is less then 1/8 inch - I can't find a "T" that will fit the map line (1/4" or so inner diameter) and also fit the 1/8" hard plastic vacuum line.

Do I just have to buck up and buy a better quality gauge? Do the better gauges come with long enough line to go from the map line, through the firewall and into the cab?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.