Power is just "OK" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 05:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power is just "OK"

I bought myself a stock 2003 F-250 with the 7.3 PSD,automatic.It was well taking care of.Runs good but the power seems something to be desired and uses way more fuel than i thought it would.What i mean is that I owned a 2004 Dodge Cummins diesel with the automatic transmission and it had a lot more power and torque..The only mods on it were a 5 inch exhaust and some minor intake mods. I was wondering if I put a larger exhaust and got rid of the muffler would it wake up this engine(7.3) maybe put a chip in it? Any answers would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 06:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Intake and exhaust will not add much power, they are more of supporting mods. I would do a DIY intake ($40 ish) and cut the muffler off or put a walker BTM on there ($70 ish) then get a chip of your choice. I would go with a TS style chip with tunes of your choice on it. Good tuners are TW, Matt at gear head, Swamps etc.

There is no need to get a bigger exhaust. the stock pipe is fine, you just need to get ird of the muffler!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:49 AM

Welcome!!!

Yeah, what he said...

Gauges... must have before any chip, good idea no matter what. Set of Boost, EGT, and Tranny temp with a piller pod will run a little over $300.

DIY intake... do a search on this site for details, but it's a cheap and simple intake set up. Cost about $40-50, and about 20-30 minutes to install

Exhaust... straight pipe the muffler, it's not really that loud, or go with a Walker BTM muffler... not sure on the cost, but range from free (straight pipe I had in the garage, I had the welder and torches and buddys with beer) to maybe $150 if you went with the Walker and had a shop do the install. The stock size exhaust is ok to 350-400 HP, it's the muffler that's the 'bottle neck' in the system.

Chip/tuner... I have a DP-Tuner, have for a year and a half. Love it. There are others out there that are simular... DP Tuner, Tony Wildman, good custom burned chip that is selectable will do well for you. My DP can be switched from stock to 40+ HP tow to 80+ HP economey tunes at any time, instantly. Heavy load, flat ground, cruse in 80+ econo, hit a hill, switch to 40+hp Towing tune... shift on the fly! I paid about $440 for mine with 5 tunes.

Good luck!

All said and done, you can get good reliable 300+ HP out of your truck for about $800.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will give it a go with the intake and the muffler delete set up and see what happens...Thanks guys...
Old 02-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The Cummins is better.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:40 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
The Cummins is better.
hmmm. troll??
Old 02-12-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
The Cummins is better.
Maybe easier to mod. And at least he didn't say Dodge is better.
Oh well, your opinion.

Well yea an 04 is gonna be faster than a 7.3. The intake and exhaust will help. That's all I've got done for now.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
The Cummins is better.
For what? Dumping money into the TRUCK cause it`s falling apart when you start turning the power up? Get real.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to F250 Fever
Quote:
The Cummins is better.
thats all he says? wish he actually knew some facts to back that up, especially against the good ole reliable 7.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.