What Should I Know When Buying A Used Powerstroke?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Should I Know When Buying A Used Powerstroke??

I have the chance to purchase a 1996 F350 Crew cab with a 7.3 L Powerstroke Turbo. It has 190,000 and a 4 speed, granny low first and a over drive. It is rust free but needs some minor things which I could use some direction as to finding the needed parts. (I'm in Northern Wisconsin)

The question is what should I be looking for concerning the motor and tranny?

It will need the E-Brake replaced.
It needs a new hood latch assembly.
The heater fan blows really weak, on all settings.(It was blowing warm) Needs dash lights.
Wiper motor sluggish.
Needs a box or flatbed- used and rust free w/ tail lights.
It needs a new 4x4 shift boot.

This truck runs really nice and it started on the first crank and it was 17 below this morning! He had it plugged in and it was NOT pre-started before I got there, I felt the upper rad. hose and was cold. I took a while to get the power when you stabbed the throttle and it blue white smoke for the first 10miles but ran nice by the time we finished the test drive. I will take it for a longer ride later this week so YOU tell me what to check!

I have been out of the diesel world for 20 years so I figured I would ask the guys who have them! If I do get it I will also be looking for fuel and power add ons, so keep me in mind.

Thank you a head of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 08:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just bought my 97 last week and did a ton of research before I purchased it. Just check under the truck for leaks they are prone to leaking in several places that are tough to identify. Most people think they leak from the rear main but its very uncommon. I would check the blow by with the oil cap. check the valley on the top of the engine for oil/fuel. I mean if you can check the wheel inside the turbo make sure the fins are good and not broken or sand blasted. If its 4wd make sure the hubs engage and disengage, some people like the auto hubs most hate them. I dont know much about the manual honestly. Check the coolant to make sure its not milky (oil in the coolant). I bought my truck with 257k and found after I got it home it was dripping oil because the 3-4 bolts on the oil pan were so loose I could turn them with my hand. Here is a few links for things to look for and solutions. hope this helps

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners

engine oil leak on 96PSD

Random White smoke

Smoke Colors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.