My New 7.3! MPG Questions?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My New 7.3! MPG Questions??

Here Is my new 2003 7.3. I just got it monday, and now Ive been through a full tank of gas about 280miles on one tank, or 11mpg. Im totally new to trucks, especially diesels. As far as I can tell it have a Banks waste gate I beleive. It says banks Big head on it. It has 375/55/16 Mickey Thompson ATZs on it. the exhaust does not look stock. It also has a volant intake on it. I dont know if there are any other upgrades. also it is lifted, but I dont know how much.

I would like to know about some options that I have as far as getting better MPG. sorry that I dont have more info Im new to this. If you need more pics of certain things let me know ill post them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Nally7.3Powerstroke
Congrats on the new truck. The 7.3 will definitely not let you down. As far as MPG, a tuner with an economy setting would help you out with a few mpg's, as long as you can keep your foot out of it. The big tires of couse are not helping out with your gas but the truck looks very clean on the isnide and out.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Serving Our Country!

I guess if I were you I'd see if it's got some sort of tuner or chip in it. Looks like it's pretty custom with all the gauges might have it on a tow mode
Old 01-31-2010, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 99 with the same eng.. If you keep it blow 2000 RPM it will help and also check the gears some trucks came with 4.10 for towing I have just the edge EVO and I get in the summer @ 18mpg and winter @ 15mpg that is mixed driving and I do run AmsOil in every thing maby a fluid change a clean the air filter....Like the edge but can find other great programers out there also..

Shon
Old 02-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbearbait View Post
I have a 99 with the same eng.. If you keep it blow 2000 RPM it will help and also check the gears some trucks came with 4.10 for towing I have just the edge EVO and I get in the summer @ 18mpg and winter @ 15mpg that is mixed driving and I do run AmsOil in every thing maby a fluid change a clean the air filter....Like the edge but can find other great programers out there also..

Shon

how do i check the gears??
Old 02-01-2010, 02:41 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
looks to me like you have a ported turbo compressor housing upgrade as well.

Very nice truck, congrats!!!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 02:45 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
There is a tag on the rear differential. If you think the previous owner might of changed the gears. You roller the truck so one tire makes a complete rotation and while you are doing that have a friend check how many times the drive shaft rotates.

IE if you roll your tire once and the driveshaft spins almost 4 times, you probably have 3.73 gears. If it is about 3 and a half times you probably have 3.55 gears.

It also helps to mark the tire and driveshaft with some sort or paint or tape
Old 02-01-2010, 03:24 PM

Good lookin truck dude. Looks just like mine (except black). A tuner will help with improving your MPG`s, research the tons of them out there and pick what`s best for you.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:31 PM

That trucks got a lot done to it. THose tires are killing you though. Drop those to like a 13.50 or 12.50 wide and i would say you would gain 2-3mpg. Thats a lot of rubber on the road!
Old 02-01-2010, 03:31 PM

That trucks got a lot done to it. THose tires are killing you though. Drop those to like a 13.50 or 12.50 wide and i would say you would gain 2-3mpg. Thats a lot of rubber on the road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.