Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

My New 7.3! MPG Questions??

6K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  mclarengts 
#1 ·
Here Is my new 2003 7.3. I just got it monday, and now Ive been through a full tank of gas about 280miles on one tank, or 11mpg. Im totally new to trucks, especially diesels. As far as I can tell it have a Banks waste gate I beleive. It says banks Big head on it. It has 375/55/16 Mickey Thompson ATZs on it. the exhaust does not look stock. It also has a volant intake on it. I dont know if there are any other upgrades. also it is lifted, but I dont know how much.

I would like to know about some options that I have as far as getting better MPG. sorry that I dont have more info Im new to this. If you need more pics of certain things let me know ill post them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on the new truck. The 7.3 will definitely not let you down. As far as MPG, a tuner with an economy setting would help you out with a few mpg's, as long as you can keep your foot out of it. The big tires of couse are not helping out with your gas but the truck looks very clean on the isnide and out.

#3 ·
I guess if I were you I'd see if it's got some sort of tuner or chip in it. Looks like it's pretty custom with all the gauges might have it on a tow mode

#4 ·
I have a 99 with the same eng.. If you keep it blow 2000 RPM it will help and also check the gears some trucks came with 4.10 for towing I have just the edge EVO and I get in the summer @ 18mpg and winter @ 15mpg that is mixed driving and I do run AmsOil in every thing maby a fluid change a clean the air filter....Like the edge but can find other great programers out there also..

Shon

#5 ·
I have a 99 with the same eng.. If you keep it blow 2000 RPM it will help and also check the gears some trucks came with 4.10 for towing I have just the edge EVO and I get in the summer @ 18mpg and winter @ 15mpg that is mixed driving and I do run AmsOil in every thing maby a fluid change a clean the air filter....Like the edge but can find other great programers out there also..

Shon

how do i check the gears??

#7 ·
There is a tag on the rear differential. If you think the previous owner might of changed the gears. You roller the truck so one tire makes a complete rotation and while you are doing that have a friend check how many times the drive shaft rotates.

IE if you roll your tire once and the driveshaft spins almost 4 times, you probably have 3.73 gears. If it is about 3 and a half times you probably have 3.55 gears.

It also helps to mark the tire and driveshaft with some sort or paint or tape

#11 ·
Congrats on the truck, I passed you this afternoon base today. I was in the lifted white crew F250. I would imagine your speedo is off also not making your average correct.

#16 ·
Crazy!! cause I remember passing you too, I was like man that trucks high.. and I think I was starring...lol

we need to catch up, Im out 1 April, going to the Glorious Ellsworth..

i only get about 250-290 miles per tank with mixed driving. i have alot more lift then you though.
yeah I only got 281 out of my first tank

nice truck do you how much lift is on that and how wide are your rims?
I dont know about the Lift, the Wheels are 16x12s I beleive, the tires are Mickey Thompson ATZs 375-55-16

I would change the fuel filter and check the air filter to see if it's dirty. Check to see if it has a stock muffler, if so either delete it or replace it with a high flowing muffler. Then put a valve body in the trans and get a TS style chip (from whoever you like most) The chip will give you the biggest gains in MPG
what does the valve body do, and how do I know if I already have one

Do a fluid and filter change on everything. Also them tires are slaughtering your milage. None the less its a very clean rig.

Thanks, yeah I think imma swap wheels and tires

#14 ·
I would change the fuel filter and check the air filter to see if it's dirty. Check to see if it has a stock muffler, if so either delete it or replace it with a high flowing muffler. Then put a valve body in the trans and get a TS style chip (from whoever you like most) The chip will give you the biggest gains in MPG

#15 ·
Do a fluid and filter change on everything. Also them tires are slaughtering your milage. None the less its a very clean rig.

#18 ·
That seems prety low for MPG I can go about 520 miles on a tank 14-15 mpg atleast thats what my average has been when I get My Pacific Pride Bill usually when I fill it everytime it takes about 34 gallons topped off and Im prety sure it's a 38 gallon tank.

#20 ·
No the valve body is in the tranny and i don't know how you would tell if it was stock or aftermarket by looking at it.

#24 ·
Yeah we need to get together one day, there are a couple others on base that are on here as well. Hopefully here soon me and some friends are going to do some mudding if you are interested!

I know my fuel milage has dropped here lately, I have the hubs locked in playing off road a good bit with the weather!!!!!

#27 ·
Well I dont really do the mudding thing, but id come out and watch or whatever I got the camera to put it on youtube..lol

#25 ·
new truck looks great..I love the look, thats my fav style...anyways I also run the 15.50s but im getting 300-320 miles out of roughly 25 gallion...now I do have a heavy foot at times and my truck is heavyer so you should be getting better than that although every truck is diffrent

#28 ·
looks is it for me...although if I had the power and a serious driveline this would be a good option for sled pulls, as theese tires like to dig hard and will do so till you brake...15.50s have been dicountinued unfortuntly so I plan on making mine last aslong as possible

#29 ·
looks is it for me...although if I had the power and a serious driveline this would be a good option for sled pulls, as theese tires like to dig hard and will do so till you brake...15.50s have been dicountinued unfortuntly so I plan on making mine last aslong as possible
Really, All of them, or just a certain brand. Because I can still find Mickey Thompson ATZ 375/55/16s, or 33x15.50

#32 ·
wow thats an awesome looking truck! your wide tires having lots of resistance is whatever but they look SICK! how much boost are you running, how hot is your tranns getting, ETG's? does the truck smoke a lot? tell us more about how it runs. start good, have lots of power?

#34 ·
The highest boost Ive seen is about 10psi, It has the Mag-Hytec trans pan, so it stays really cool always under 150. What are ETGs? nope no smoke at all. and it starts pretty easy everytime

#37 ·
another member spoke to mickey thompson and they are dicontinued..those companys must have them in stock still...my tires are only 2 months old but I took them off and am trying to sell my 18x12 and eventually ill put the 15.50s back on, prolly this summer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.