Hello Friends, Hopping up the 4x4, TC take it??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hello Friends, Hopping up the 4x4, TC take it???

I am reading in the Performance Section and in general about all the great mods and wild increase in HP and such... Will the Transfer Case in the 2003 take the added stress... I got the idea that maybe most of you running under the 15 sec 1/4, are running hopped up 4x2 rigs.. Is that true?

As you would know by now, most of my play is out in the Bush, but around town it is a bit snooty with BMWs and GM (Holden here) cars, Suburu WRX sorts and all the other city mitsu-yamma-goochi rice grinders sneering at a big Ford 4x4 like mine.... It would be fun to blow their doors off just for sport. Ha!

So, if I hop it up a bit for fun, will the TC take the loading? Are some of you 12-13-14 sec People running 4x4's as well? Or all 4x2?

Thanks in advance from the Ranger....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Banned

ranger....the only time that transfer case has problems handling the power is if you are putting it into 4x4 on the fly......in AUTO mode if your truck has it.......if its manual only...then this doesnt even pertain to you.....but if it has auto 4x4.....do not engauge the 4x4 under heavy load or high speed conditions and you will be fine. in auto....all those moving parts have to catch up.....and thats where the damage can result....other than that......it can run fast even though its a 4x4......Marc
Old 03-23-2006, 06:07 PM

What a Champion!

Marc, As usual you are right there to help everybody.... What a Champion! Don't know how you get any work done.. Course maybe it is night time there for you... And the computer is just on for company while you tinker around the garage... But still what a champion!

My Effie has a 3 position rotary switch on the dash, 2WD 4x4 High, 4x4 Low
And the hubs are rotating to "LOCK" or left on "AUTO"......... I leave them on Auto unless things look nasty out Bush and it is time for Diff locks and such...

So now, what auto you are talking about? Mine the same as the U.S. ones? If I want to have fun picking on the local "snooty cruisers" that look down on a muddy F-250 with "MUDHOG" in silver letters on the tailgate... As long as I leave it in 2WD on the rotary day switch, I don't have a worry about the TC?

Should I run synthetics in the TC? (I have put Castrol Transmax Z in the tranny (superior boiling point and properties)... )

Thanks again in advance, for your well done, level headed responses to things.
Regards, da Ranger in Oz....
Old 03-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Banned

first i will go over the transfercase fluid and maintanence.....as long as the fluid you are using is Mercon compatable.....then as long as its serviced every 30-40k (20-30k if 4x4 is used a lot)....then all is well......its only 3.5 quarts(approximately)...so it cheap insurance...

as far as the "auto mode"....im talking about your hublocks....and yes...yours is the same as the US trucks.......

if you engage the 4x4 for a faster takeoff against a car.....if your at a stop...it doesnt matter...but if your already moving so torque is there....and then you switch it...you could have problems.....in "auto" mode on the hublocks......if you never race in 4x4....the then transfer case should have no problems at all and all of this is a worthless conversation as far as the transfercase holding up

if you plan on switching into 4x4 under high load or hiway speeds....the front axles and driveline are not spinning.......and they have to start spinning to match the speed of everything else....which is where the damage can occur....if your truck is in "locked" manually....the axles and driveline are already spinning......they are just not locked to the motor and tranny since the transfer case is not locked in to provide power there.....so switching it then just causes a "mesh"....there is not catch up.....transfer of power to the front is instantanious with no ill effects.....

i hope this helps...let me know if i need to clear anything up.......Marc
Old 03-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Banned

thanks for the compliment ranger...i got it in the first one....but its nice to get that compliment sometimes......it makes it worth beign here
Old 03-23-2006, 06:28 PM

You know Marc, I was never thinking about running with hubs locked and 4x4 on the highway!!! That is taboo where I am coming from...!!! So, I guess you are saying that as long as I stay in 2WD, whether the hubs are locked for monthly maintenance oilling in diff-locks- or left in Auto, as long as I stay in 2WD or only take off from a stop in 4x4 High tearing up the dirt, then I will have not problems..?

That correct? Have I understood the only danger is shift between 2WD and 4x4 on the fly is the danger? (Would never dream of shifting on the fly- Mortal sin where I am from...) Otherwise the TC is fine for light hearted dragging..?

Thanks again, and it is my Shout! (turn for a round of drinks) Ha! You fly, I'll buy...

da Ranger in Oz...
Old 03-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Banned

you can run with the hubs locked....at any speed...the only thing you hurt is your fuel economy......

yes....you can do anything in 2 wheel drive....and really not risk doing anything to the transfer case......

and you can switch into 4x4 in auto mode at ALMOST any time.....as long as you are not in a high torque or high speed situation (hiway speeds or just after a heavy take off while still on the throttle)....any other situation has no negative effects to anything in the system......

if your hubs are in the "locked" position......you can shift between 2 wheel and four wheel high with no ill affects........

live by these four rules and you will have absolutely NO problems that you could have prevented with your actions.........Marc
Old 03-23-2006, 06:43 PM

All right, thats it! You've got my vote for President... Move over Bush.. Ha! LOL...
The more I learn about these, the more I like the new Fords...
Cheers....
Old 03-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
All right, thats it! You've got my vote for President... Move over Bush.. Ha! LOL...
The more I learn about these, the more I like the new Fords...
Cheers....
we all wish we could get an 04-06 with a 7.3.........lol....
Old 03-23-2006, 07:04 PM

You are a bad influence Mark... lol...I can't get it out of my mind that I might be missing out... There are still a few 2006's for sale, and when it is done in the next month or two, it is done forever.... I can afford it, it just seems too self indulgent when I have a Mack 4x4, my Son is driving an old Landcruiser Sahara (17 and no he is not getting this much power like my 03 Effie) my wive driving a newer Landcruiser 100 Series all tricked out.. I have four vehicles in the front yard and garage plus a 22' caravan (trailer)!!! Can't even get rid of the rice grinders as town is designed for them, parking and all...

But it is my last chance to get a brand spanking new 2006 7.3 psd 4x4... I can't help but think I might be regreting passing it up...

You are a bad.... The past few days I have even been toying with buying the newie, and putting my 03 toys on it, and reselling the '03.... But I feel a bit self indulgent, and wouldn't want to scratch up the 06 by using it!!! Heaven forbid!!!! My Shepard jumping up in the back with muddy feet???? Throwing some hay in the back for my horses?? Couldn't get the "newie" dirty ya know!

Temptation temptation..... Whats life for anyway... NEW TOYS..!

Praise God we have the choices!! ....

Ranger in Oz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.