Looking to buy a PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking to buy a PSD

Im interested in buying a used 99-03 super duty 250/350 with the 7.3L PSD.

Want to know if I should watch out for anything because most of the trucks for sale have ALOT of miles. Most of the ones Ive seen or looked at had at least 100k, this worries me coming from vehicles that have had this mileage and needing to replace all kinds of parts that wore out. I currently am sick of my toyota t100 for this reason, 200k but I had to replace every single rubber mount and bushing cause they rotted away.

Alot of the trucks I see have about 120-150k, I know this is nothing for a diesel engine, but the rest of the parts dont last that long obviously. This will be my only vehicle so I cannot afford for it to have all kinds of problems.

Also, do I want the auto tranny or would a stick be preferable? I dont mind a stick and it seems the trucks Ive looked at online have a 6 speed w/granny gear I would like. Very few have been a stick, is it worth it over the auto?

Apparently they are pretty reliable trucks so far from what I gather and generally dont have to many issues. I have heard the frontends tend to wear out a bit quickly and that they can have some kinda camshaft sensor failure as well according to the NHTSA website complaints too..but not much else.

This is just going to be my personal truck, I need a larger truck than a midsize and it seems any gas engine gets horrible mpg when a diesel doesnt. Thanks for any advice/help in my future purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ewils35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM View Post
Im interested in buying a used 99-03 super duty 250/350 with the 7.3L PSD.

good choice thats what im in the market for also.

Want to know if I should watch out for anything because most of the trucks for sale have ALOT of miles. Most of the ones Ive seen or looked at had at least 100k, this worries me coming from vehicles that have had this mileage and needing to replace all kinds of parts that wore out. I currently am sick of my toyota t100 for this reason, 200k but I had to replace every single rubber mount and bushing cause they rotted away.

Alot of the trucks I see have about 120-150k, I know this is nothing for a diesel engine, but the rest of the parts dont last that long obviously. This will be my only vehicle so I cannot afford for it to have all kinds of problems.

its typical to find a used diesel with that many miles. if it was well maintained you shouldnt have to worry too much. just check for leaks, take for a test drive and use your best judgement on it.

Also, do I want the auto tranny or would a stick be preferable? I dont mind a stick and it seems the trucks Ive looked at online have a 6 speed w/granny gear I would like. Very few have been a stick, is it worth it over the auto?

id get the manual. seems to me that they hold up better when towing. from what i read here manual is the way to go if your towing.

Apparently they are pretty reliable trucks so far from what I gather and generally dont have to many issues. I have heard the frontends tend to wear out a bit quickly and that they can have some kinda camshaft sensor failure as well according to the NHTSA website complaints too..but not much else.

This is just going to be my personal truck, I need a larger truck than a midsize and it seems any gas engine gets horrible mpg when a diesel doesnt. Thanks for any advice/help in my future purchase.
my answers are in red.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

When you go to look at these trucks, the intake tube above the air cleaner for any signs of dust. If there is any run away from the truck. The factory air boxes aren't that great and they can warp causing dust to get around them. I would also get the manual if you can find one. The 4R100 auto is a good trans, but they don't always last as long when you put on more power with tuners etc... Just try and find a truck that is free of oil leaks, and hopefully would have some previous maintenace records.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ill make sure to look at the air intake dust problem. I really would prefer a stick b/c I was thinking about installing one of those tuner things for the heck of it and I enjoy controlling the vehicle better. I also was planning on doing a small lift to fit some 35's on it, I know 33's can fit on stock.

I doubt I will ever tow anything that much, perhaps a friends 30ft camper (hitch style not 5th wheel) and thats probably the heaviest thing besides a loaded car trailer every so often. Most of the time the bed will be loaded with nothing, but otherwise quad or 2. Perhaps downt he road some minimal plowing of mostly my own home.

My basic reasoning behind getting the PSD is I know for a fact the 5.4L motors absolutely suck since I have had 2 spark plug blow outs and tons of oil burned and now knocking in my company work truck. Plus the 7.3L has gobs of power and then some to spare in my case. That and they get really bad mpg, 8-10mpg when my old 79 F250 got that and had tons more power is pathetic.

I did find a truck with 200k with the stick the other day, they wanted 8 grand but I felt the miles were to high even if the truck appeared to be super nice (I saw it on craigslist).

Thanks so far for the help.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

if your looking at modding you should look for a 7.3 with forged rods. I bought my 2002 wanting to do some mods but after finding out I have Powdered rods im scared to do much more than an intake and exhaust.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What years have forged rods? I have seen a few modified ones with those tuner chip things and no issues as far as I knew when I spoke to the guys. The chips they had were bully dog I think, had things like tow mode, power mode, economy, etc. Thats pretty much what I wanted to do with mine if I get one.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quick follow up:

Still looking for the right one and havent found much that I like-but im trying.

What does everyone get for mpg city/hwy. I heard a few horror stories that since they now only sell this junk they call diesel people went from like 15mpg in town to like 6-8mpg and overall mpg dropped like crazy-any truth to that?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Those people are duuumb... The worst mileage I've ever gotten was like 13 MPG, and that's cause my buddy was doing 85-90 MPH across Kansas while I was sleeping. A "bad" tank is somewhere in the 14 MPG range. On average, I see 16-18 MPG with 18-19 on highway trips @ 2000 RPM. Unloaded for all of this. I get around 15-16 towing my boat or the jet skis.

Don't get a Bully Dog.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea I kinda figured it was bs.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:09 AM

here a couple of other things 2 look 4 at around 150k look to see if it has a new water pump, ask if ball joints have been done, brakes,rear pinion seal..... theres other stuff but cant think of them and a pmr motor is usualy safe 2 around 450ish hp just as long as they have good tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.