please read hard start opinion needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 06:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
please read hard start opinion needed

On my 01 i have hard starts. When its cold like today, 20 degrees, its a no start. I have replaced the icp sensor and the ipr. I even hooked up a battery charger and let that go for a couple hours.
I know we are going to say glow plugs or relay. I have checked them 10 times.
I am leaning towards injectors because i have a shudder at low rpm at 45mph.(approx 1500 rpm) on the freeway at 2k runs mint.
The weird thing is I can plug it in for 15to 20 minutes and it will fire. I dont need 3 hours or so.
I am going to try syn oil instead on the regular. I did notice with the new ipr the shudder at low rpm seem to stop but i did not drive it too far to know for a fact.
How would the injectors(if its the issue) cause a hard start. The thing is once started for 15 seconds, i can sut it off and restrt no problem. I dont have to run it til hot to restart. If it is injectors how can 15 or 20 minutes plugged in fix it?
thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 07:08 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My truck is doing the something similiar. Its really hard to start won't start for about 5 min worth of cranking then i can let it sit for about 15 min(not plugged up) and it fires right up. Tryed three diff techs now and still no answer. All glow plug system working good. So a very repitable diesel tech told me if u can plug it up and it starts its the injectors. my new swamps injectors will be here hopefully installed next weekend. Also putting new glow plugs vc and harness on it
Old 01-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How about the fuel system heaters? Have you replaced or checked the heater under the fuel filter?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:23 AM

The heater is unplugged. Its also unplugged on my wifes 99. That fires up immediatly, it never gets plugged in ever.
I am really thinking injectors. I wish i knew how to tell if its o-rings or the injector itself?
When i did a google search i got injectors but it alwys says hard start hot or cold. Once I fire it up for 30 seconds it starts after that, no issue. The motor wont be hot. I guess the cylinder temp will have started to warm.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

We have an 01 that was doing the same thing. Finally replaced 2 bad injectors and now it starts good. My Money is on a bad injector or injectors....Not sure why but that is what we had to do.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:29 AM

is it a buzz test I need? Or a contribution test?
what are these 2 teast? whats the difference?
thx
will either of these be able to tell if its the O-ring? Or at least pin point the cylinder?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:54 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
a buzz test will electronically actuate the solenoid for each injector, contribution test cancels each injector one by one and looks for rpm change for each, if it see no change or low change it flags that cylinder. if it were o-rings it would more than likely not start hot.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:04 AM

cool, so these tests will most likely tell me what I need to know. Once hot or fired up its fine. I do have a low rpm 45 mph shudder. I think its motor not the tc. It may have stopped with the new ipr installed. I only drove it like 2 miles since I changed it.
I am going to switch oil to syn 5 40. Then see. If it still acts up, it almost has to be injectors. The hpop would not be as effected with it being ran for 30 seconds and then starts fine. Gotta be the injectors. 0-rings are out. ??
Old 02-15-2010, 06:05 PM

What ever came up with ur case. I'm supposed to get mine back wed. from the shop my tranny went out when they were testing the new injectors. But the good news is that it sit from tues till friday and it started right up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.