New...well new to me...2003 f-250 ext. cab 7.3 turbo diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2006, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New...well new to me...2003 f-250 ext. cab 7.3 turbo diesel

hey guys,
I'm new to here but i was wanted to pick your brains for some advice. I just bought a 2003 f-250 ext. cab 7.3. I was wondering what the largest tires are that will fit with stock suspension and stock wheels. Also i'm looking to add a programmer or something that will help me get better fuel mileage. i'm looking at the superchips tuner. i'm not looking to smoke the tires and i don't tow anything right now but am looking to in the future. I'm also looking into an oil bypass filter from amsoil and switching to their synthetic oil. I have a guy that i work with who is an amsoil dealer and swears by it. so if any of you are running bypass filters or amsoil give me your honest opinions on is it worth the money......thanks again guys for sharing all of your knowledge and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2006, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

me again

also guys i was wondering if anyone has input on what aftermarket exhaust system would flow the best for the 7.3?
Old 03-23-2006, 06:55 AM
Conservative and Proud

Welcome!!!!!

Great people with tons of information here, I'm sure they'll post as soon as they get the chance.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Da Ranger in Australia, got da same twuck, da same year, only Crew Cab...

Even got da Superchips MicroTuner, and really good evidence that it will give you about 1-2 mpg better (if you drive light footed)...

I have a straight flow muffler, to make room for another 135 litre tank, routed out to the side in 4" ...

And I have 285/75 R16 BFG Muddies.... Not a lot of room to go much bigger..
Without doing more of a lift, and even then....

Regards from Oz....
Old 03-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty72
hey guys,
I'm new to here but i was wanted to pick your brains for some advice. I just bought a 2003 f-250 ext. cab 7.3. I was wondering what the largest tires are that will fit with stock suspension and stock wheels. Also i'm looking to add a programmer or something that will help me get better fuel mileage. i'm looking at the superchips tuner. i'm not looking to smoke the tires and i don't tow anything right now but am looking to in the future. I'm also looking into an oil bypass filter from amsoil and switching to their synthetic oil. I have a guy that i work with who is an amsoil dealer and swears by it. so if any of you are running bypass filters or amsoil give me your honest opinions on is it worth the money......thanks again guys for sharing all of your knowledge and opinions.
superchips is a good all around programmer for light to medium increases.....which it sounds is what your looking for....the bypass filter.....thats your call....i, personally dont like amsoil or a lot of thier claims....if it was my truck i would simply change the oil and filter every 3-4k.....4-5 max.....with good old motocraft 15-40 and a motocraft FL1995 oil filter......the most miles ive ever seen on a diesel....and im sure some of the guys are sick of hearing this story.....was a truck a little over 960,000 miles.....origional motor.......and it had never had anything but motocraft oil and filter on it......the customer said he actually had to drive 150 miles out of his way one time on a cross country trip in the middle of nowhere in oklahoma just to get to a ford dealer so he could have factory oil and filter......this is proof that its good intervals....not synthetic or bypass filters....that increase engine life......the bypass filter may help filtration.....the synthetic oil may last longer....but in the end is it a real gain in money since these things cost more.....and if you dont pay for the oil analysis testing.....you dont know where that oil is for viscosity........Marc
Old 03-23-2006, 06:14 PM

I've got the Hypertech Powwerprogrammer III with three sateg tuning. I love mine. Put it on the dyno and put 300 hp and 500 ft.lbs down at the rear wheel. That was with just exhaust and a K&N which I've gotten rid of and installed an AFE stage 2. I dont know which exhaust flows better but mine is from Warp Speed Performance.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to 01SMOKINSD Send a message via Yahoo to 01SMOKINSD
I have 285/75r16 ProComp AT's on mine, cant go any bigger without rubbing when u turn sharp. The standard size is 33-11.50-16 incase u were wondering. I have the superchips programmer and have been very happy with it, but i am considering selling it for a higher horse powered chip. Let me know if youd be interested, maybe we can work out some sorta deal. Its only been in the truck for about a year. Goodluck!
Old 03-28-2006, 02:12 PM

Hello 01SmokinSD,
I am guessing you want more HP for some kind of street drags fun... OK... I have two minor questions: 1) You must have run the SuperChips program on level III... You do not think that is hard on the PSD engine or transmission or don't care..? 2) Is anyone hot rodding the 4x4 F-250, no problems there? I would not mind doing it for fun, just wondering what I am in for...

Best regards from Australia
Old 03-28-2006, 04:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Hey Scotty welcome the forum! I have a 99 7.3 myself. For over a year I had a superchips microtuner on it which was awesome. The main reason I sold it is because I wanted a little higher powered chip and the ability to switch power levels on the fly so I bought TS's chip. It sounds like you just want some extra mpg and a little more power so I would highly recommend the superchip. If you don't like smoke it will work for you too. I couldn't get mine to blow much smoke even on the high performance setting. It blew a small puff but nothing that would coat the people next to or behind you like my TS chip does. As for a high flowing exhaust, I think just about all the systems out there have pretty much the same all around flow rate. It probably comes down more to sound, quality and fit of the kit you buy versus flow. I bought a magnaflow kit for 410 at a diesel show last year. It fit perfect, is high quality and sounds really awesome....and not bothersome in the cab either even on hard acceleration.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty72
hey guys,
I was wondering what the largest tires are that will fit with stock suspension and stock wheels.
On my early 99 I ran 9.00x16 which are like 36x9. They fit with no lift. I think I had to take a grinder to the front bumper just a tad. I then went to 37x12.50x16.5 on 16.5x9.75 rims of course I had to cut a whole lot more from the lip of the bumper and from the rear of the fender opening I also cut alot of the plastic inner fender out. This was all with no lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.