bleeding fuel system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 11:20 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
bleeding fuel system

Ok so we can't bleed our fuel system or can we.

A while back I had an issue with my fuel pump not getting power. So I wired it directly to the battery using a 20 amp fuse and 30am relay. Well I fixed the fuel pump by finding a break in the wiring harness.

Well today, I ran out of fuel. Well thinking about it, instead of cranking the truck over for long periods of time til it fires. I decided to just turn the toggle switch on to the fuel pump. I let it sit for oh 3 hours. I came back out, turn the key on and cranked over the engine and it fired right up.

Now my knowledge of the fuel system is quite little. To my knowledge we have a free flowing fuel system. Meaning it comes from the tank through the pump, to the filter, to the injectors, to the return, back to the tank.

Thinking of this now. I am thinking that leaving the toggle switch to the fuel pump bled the fuel system while it sat there.

So with this I know it bled the fuel system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

All I do is turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump to stop then cycle the key again to restart the pump. If there is air in it, like when changing the filter, I can hear a different kinda squishy sound and I can hear it when it finally gets all the air out and builds pressure, the pump bogs a little. It may take several cycles to get the air out depending on how much is in there. You can still have a little air stuck in the heads though.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Oh Yeah!-3 hours is plenty of bleed time-I think you got 'er good!
Just get the rest of the air out and you should be good to go-these engines will self purge the rest of the air out-the harder you run it,the faster the air will be out and you'll be on your way!
Good luck!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:33 PM

I thought the system was, tank, pickup, pump, bowl, then return to either tank or go deadhead into the fuel rails?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:50 PM

You're right , it deadheaded into rails,but once you get it fired up-the air will purge out by itself-and ,the harder you run it -the faster the air will purge out.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:49 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I know everything you all are saying. How ever I had no choice in the 3 hours. I was on my lunch from work. So I had to walk back to work. I actually forgot to turn the swtich off.

Now I tried the cycle the key three times and start the truck. I ended up killing my batteries trying to crank the truck over.

So with a jump from a co-worker that drives a 7.3L psd. My truck fired up. Tomorrow I will change my fuel filter.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:58 PM

Git 'er fired up - drive it like you stole it and get the air out of it and see what happens.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:24 AM
Powerstroke Techie

When I dropped my tank and did all the fuel system mods it took more like 15 key cycles, 3 wouldn't even come close to getting her bled.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
When I installed my RR, I just hooked a battery charger to the pump to purge and set pressure. Later I installed a switch to the pump so I could transfer fuel from my main to aux tank, Mexico was being stubborn about fueling aux tanks. I have used that switch to purge the fuel a few times when I had issues getting to the fuel in the tank. Only takes a few minutes to purge, but it's nice to have. I don't know how long a factory fuel system would take to purge, but three hours is probably a bit long. Shouldn't harm anything other than batteries unless you run the pump dry.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

Well I ran out of gas ( not really but parked on hill ). Now I have to get fuel from tank to pump then bleed the fuel system. What connector would I hook the battery charger to just run the pump so I don't have to try sucking on the fuel line so long. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to bleed the system. I worked on the truck all day before Figured out what happened. I found out cause fuel bowl wouldn't fill up. So I took off the fuel line between tank and pump low and behold no fuel. The pump runs just won't suck air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.