Running rough today. Fuel related? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Running rough today. Fuel related?

Out driving earlier today for about 35 miles or so, and was running errands and so forth, just before the the last stop I noticed the truck was getting a little sluggish. Pulled over and it almost died. I decided to shut it off while I made my last stop. Approximately 1 hour later I came back and it didn't start. I tried a couple of times before deciding not to wear the starter out anymore because it just wouldn't start and sustain an idle. It tried to start but it was almost like it was starving for fuel.

So then I got out and hit the pressure release behind the filter, then closed it back off, then it started right up, ran choppy for a few seconds and then ran okay on the way home. It didn't miss or run bad until I pulled it in the driveway about 4 miles away from the parking lot.

Someone told me that a certain O-Ring under the intake that was oil pressure related could allow for less vacuum to carry the fuel appropriately if this O-Ring was leaking or not properly sealed? Is this possibly the problem?

Or should I just pull the fuel filter, examine it, and then replace if needed and go from there?

Oh yeah, last thing, once it finally started it put out a nice film of blue smoke from the exhaust. Of course it does that on cold startups too but it always goes away.

Thanks

Last edited by E'sStrokr01; 01-19-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 06:02 PM

not sure

Not really sure but i would deff check ur filter but it shouldnt be that bad to allow it not to run another thing maybe check ur frame mounted fuel pump to see if thats working right. Other than that i do not know enough i just bought my first diesel and only know the basics about it but i would check the fuel pump first. the first thing to come to my mind would be the frame mounted pump, the filter or hopefully not the injection pump. For poops and giggles have autozone run a scan tool for free to c if it throws up a code, who knows
Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 PM

Well, since it happens so often, I'm gonna ask if you swapped out the CPS?

Second, while idling, if you pull the ICP sensor does the truck suddenly smooth out?

Do you have anyone near you with AE? or some sort of scan tool, atleast so you know what codes you have?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinj427 View Post
Well, since it happens so often, I'm gonna ask if you swapped out the CPS?

Second, while idling, if you pull the ICP sensor does the truck suddenly smooth out?

Do you have anyone near you with AE? or some sort of scan tool, atleast so you know what codes you have?

It doesn't happen that often. It just started yesterday. Also, we put in a new fuel pump just under 4000 miles ago and I can't remember if it was a Genuine Ford pump or an aftermarket pump. I tend to say that it was aftermarket from a local parts store like Autozone Carquest maybe???

I'll try the ICP next time I'm able to get it to idle. Haven't started it again since I shut it off in the driveway yesterday, and when I got it home it got choppy again. Once or twice it "romped" then picked up a choppy idle.

Last thing, help with "AE" Is that a scanner? If so what does the AE stand for?

Meantime, I'll try to pull the codes with a scan.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 AM

I would pull the filer out and change it. then with the filter out make sure the fuel bowl will fill up with fuel.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:54 AM

AE is Auto Enginuity, It is the most accurate way to scan our trucks for codes a lot of the standard scanners can not properly read codes on these trucks.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:36 AM

what is the best fuel filter to use? If it's the filter, then I think I'm gonna just buy the cheapest ones to put in there. I figure, if it's the filter then it's MAYBE 4000 miles that I've gotten out of it. And why replace a GOOD filter with something that might get close to 4000 miles.

But if I decide for the best or a very good filter, which should I use?
Old 01-21-2010, 07:41 PM

Try pulling your fuel filter and see if you have any debris in bottom of housing-anything black ie.-small black pieces that could be deposits of some kind?
Maybe if that's the case could have gotten caught up in fuel pressure regulator spring?
Just something to look for.
I like the wix filters-been ok so far-but maybe somebody knows of a better one-lots of knowledge on here!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:24 AM

Question

Thanks man. Can you help me more with the fuel pressure regulator spring? How can I check that part too? And is it easy to get to?

I just was reading a thread about the filter seperator valve and how the o-rings can leak in those valves, and that sometimes when the o-rings leak out diesel fuel, they can also draw in air. Wondering if this might be the problem, or maybe even part of the problem?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:27 PM

I can try,the pressure reg. is on the right side of filter housing-with the return fuel line attatched,take off the fuel line and take out the 2 screws holding the cap on.
Inside you'll see the orings,spring and poppet valve and seat.
But I would look for anything black in bottom of housing first.
The drain orings can leak fuel-not sure if they could suck air or not since
the whole housing is on positive pressure side of fuel pump-but anythings possible.
Can you find your drain line from filter on pass side-hook up a small hose on it and get get fuel sample in glass to see if oil may be getting in before you pull fuel filter?
Just some cheap stuff to check.
Did you find anyone with a code reader?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.