should i buy?? 00 7.3 $7000 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 12:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
should i buy?? 00 7.3 $7000

Sold my camaro a couple days ago looking to go completely opposite and get a f250. found a 2000 f250 crew cab lariat 4x4 with 260k miles. i can pick it up for 7k cash. its really nice inside and out. has a small lift kit and like new 35 inch all terrains. front end was reacently rebuilt, has new glow plugs. i really like the truck and it looks great. however ive never owned a diesel and the mileage scares me i know 260k is nothing for a diesel but i also know how much they cost to work on. what do yall think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 01:46 AM

i dont know about pricing on the 7.3L trucks where you live but down around here that is a steal for that truck i looked at pretty much the same truck with the same mileage and they wanted 11800 for it... and i almost bought it but found one with lower miles and got it instead... i would jump on that but i havent seen the truck so that is just an opinion lol
Old 01-19-2010, 02:10 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
260 isnt bad. but depending on how it was maintaned and driven, theres a chance that a rebuild isnt too far out od reach. does it have any blowby out of the oil cap, and all fluids look good? 7k isnt bad. i bought my 99 for 13,200 and it only has 119k on it.

the oil changes if you do your self can run up to $50 and diesel is somewhat more expensive to purchase.

do you have any pics of the truck?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:20 AM

i sold my 2000 ext cab long bed 4x4 XL w/6 speed, plain as it could come truck for around 8 thousand a couple years ago it had 260k miles and a bad clutch and the first person who seen it bought it lol
Old 01-19-2010, 02:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to BIGBILL105 45
Personally, I wouldn't buy it.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds like a steal to me. I would jump all over that in a heartbeat, I cant seem to find anything near that cheap around here. (MA)
Old 01-19-2010, 06:04 AM

with 260,xxx miles 7k is too much i don't care where your from. thats not to say its not a decent truck. if your really interested then do some homework...

how many owners? contact the last owner..
what was the truck used for?
gooseneck hitch?
rust on oil pan and other vital areas?
maintenance records?
transmission records?
and so on...

i personally wouldnt jump right into this deal especially since you have never dealt with diesels before. they are expensive to fix and maintain. be prepared for any repairs big or small with a high mileage truck.

BTW i bought my 2002 lariat f250 4x4 for 6k... 106,xxx miles. BOYS TALK ABOUT A STEAL
Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 AM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Be sure and have a look at some of the old posts in this forum about what to look for when buying a 7.3. These trucks can handle alot of miles and still look very good in and out. But with that many miles be sure and get underneath and have a close look for anything thats not extremely obvious. Somehow vehicles can seem perfect when making the purchase but as you get to know more about things wrong with your vehicle you notice things you wish you would have caught when you bought it and either not bought that vehicle or at least use that for leverage to knock the price down some more. In good shape and good running condition, that sounds like a good deal you found.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:23 AM

That seems to be a fair price. As everyone else is suggesting, take a hard look at the underneath of the truck. Try to get as much info on the vehicle as possible.
On a side note.....bigbill I notice you have a stack on your rig and a tool box. Could you post a picture of the setup from the rear so I can see how this works. Im thinking of doing a stack but dont want to loose and space. Sorry for the hijack.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:26 AM

NICE TRUCK PolarBear... clean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.