Stupid question about a programmer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stupid question about a programmer

OK last week my wife had HID's installed in my truck....thanks to Raul at STEALTH for guidance.....OK she has been running back and forth to Richmond from Houston every other day to keep an eye on the house we are going to have built. The company is building a house for our friend then we are next. Our friends have an 06 megacab dually that I know is all stock. Well she says that she is having trouble keeping up with them LOL. I have DIY air filter,4in straitpipe,zoodad mod ,autometer guages. My truck has 212000 miles on it and I couldnt be happier with it but the mileage is crappy and to keep up with the mega cab is killing what little it gets ....and its no fun for her when they just take off from her. I know the ultimate solution is a TW chip but she is incapable of installing it and I am not home long enough right now.She went to buy a programmer today when I caught her on the phone and stopped her with scary stories about blown up motors and destroyed trannies. She has a perfectly fine Expidition to drive with exhaust,programmer and rousch package but she says its a city car and she needs the country truck. I need programmer recomendations that she can do [she takes hers in and out at dealer ] or a place in houston to get a TW or comparable chip installed .OK let the solutions flow guys cause she is as impatient as a 5 yr old at christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Had a superchips 1705 and it only took about 10-15 minuets. Just plug it in and follow the direction on the screen. And the good thing about the superchips is that it tunes your tranny unlike edge/ bullydog/ banks etc...
Old 01-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Programmer

I also use the Superchips 1705 in both of my rigs and it really helps the performace. Also, you don't really need to worry about things like most guys seem to do with their custom chips. They don't make the 1705 programmer anymore but are real easy to find on ebay for cheap. I know some will say that this isn't the way to go but if you aren't looking for huge power this is a great upgrade and very dependable in my opinion. Your fuel economy will go up also.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:13 PM

I would highly recommend the TW chip. I drive around all the time in the economy setting (which by the way I can also burn out all the way down the street with 35"s in the economy setting alone ). It gave me a lot more power AND better mileage.

I believe every 7.3 should have a TW or DP chip installed. Just my 2 cents.

Mark
Old 01-18-2010, 06:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Black&Gold Send a message via Skype™ to Black&Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
I would highly recommend the TW chip. I drive around all the time in the economy setting (which by the way I can also burn out all the way down the street with 35"s in the economy setting alone ). It gave me a lot more power AND better mileage.

I believe every 7.3 should have a TW or DP chip installed. Just my 2 cents.

Mark
funny you should say this, i raced a guy today with a 7.3 and a DP chip with the 120 setting and i was walking away from him. he had a 6 inch lift and some alcoa's and i have a 11.5 with 38's. i have an SCT with Custom tunes From twisted diesel. all our mods were the same stacks intake and programer/chip. the only thing i think i have on him is a Built trans.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:33 PM

Ok-I'm not asking for a poll(yet)-but I'm reading about "chips"vs."tuners and now I'm really confused on what's best.
I understand that a tuner will let you change settings at will because it plugs into your data port-but doesn't a "chip "have to go into your "PCM module"?Am I right or wrong about this?
Can you change settings on a chip?Between performance and economy?
What's the pro's and cons on both?
I hope this will help OP and anyone else who wonders about this.
All help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:46 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the best thing you can do is do a few searches on the forum. theres lots and lots of useful info about this.

but you can change programs on the fly with a chip

only some programmers will let you shift on the fly most of them have to be switched from a stop with the truck turned off

your going to find most people on here like the chips over the programmers

hope this helped some. im no expert like some of the guys on here
Old 01-18-2010, 06:57 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Its probably not so much about the lack of power that your 7.3 has compared to the megacab as it may just be in the low gearing of your dually. Having the 4:10 gears , you are going to be running high rpms on the highway no matter what if you're really hauling it.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The maga cab is the dually not the superduty i bet he has 3.73s
Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well seeing as how the OPs sig says has an 01 F350 dually with 4:10s, I pretty much stand by what I said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.