Intercooler boot size? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 01:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intercooler boot size?

Hey everyone,

I have a lot of soot (or oil?) around my turbo and this soot keeps dirtying up my air filter. I am thinking (hoping) it is a leak from the boots going to the turbo. I have a buddy that works for a large bus transit place that can get me some new boots but he needs to know the size. So...what size are the boots on a stock turbo? It looks to be around 3" but not sure.

Thanks guys,

Mark

Last edited by MarkR; 01-18-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 07:51 PM

Still searching on the size of all the boots that go in the spider pipe but have another question as well.

Is there any possible negative effects of removing the boots and cleaning them with "Simple green" and clean the IC pipes etc. then replace them?

The reason I ask is, on my search, I have heard some people say the boots didn't seal well afterward!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:31 AM

Hmmm...are these stupid questions thus no response?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Don't feel bad on the lack of replys...... as another new member here myself, I find very few responses to my questions too.

I learned a long time ago, there are no wrong questions,,, only wrong answers.!

Everyone on this board has been in the same situation as myself, new to working on these powerstrokes. I can tell you, people do not wake up one morning after buying their dream truck, and bingo !!! --- suddenly know everytihng there is to know. They too had to ask questions, possibly the same ones you and I ask. Some guys may be above the 'rookie' thing and don't want to get involved.

SO --- Back to your question. Try and perform a search on the topic you are asking questions about. I have found on this board and others, by doing the search feature, you can uncover a wealth of information, and maybe find your answer..

From what I have gatehred on here, a lot of the underhood oil mist you see is due to the crankcase evnting, hence the mod - CCV Mod. Check it out.

the silicone used on the stock motors from Ford seem to not hold up to oil residue as it will break down the silicone, causing leaks etc.. I have found on 'Dieselsite.com", they offer a replacement set of boots that are not silicone, purdy spendy, but once installed, you will never have that issue again. I too have some oil leaks that I am buying replacement parts for, and trying to find out some questions to answers I have posted on here, and largely to no avail.

ON the early model motors there is a difference in the boot ID's, and not so on the later models. On Dieselsite.com you will find the measurements listed on the replacement boot kits. One other thing to look into is the possibility of leaky o-rings on the turbo pedestel and on the rear of the oil pump, even the drivers side vent on the valve cover will leak some, I have both areas leaking on my 2001 motor as well as the crankcase vent oil mist issue.

Good luck, try the search feature,,, it's handy when folks are tight lipped......

Russ
Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 PM

Hi XR-2001,

I am fully aware of the search and have used it many, many times but nothing was coming up with the boot sizes. Perhaps I'll just take the boots off and clean the boots and surrounding area then tighten them back up and see if it fixes the problem (hopefully it doesn't make it worse). I'm about to tow a bed full of firewood along with a flatbed trailer with a 4runner rock crawler as well as a few dirt bikes for 7 hours down to King of the Hammers 2010!

Definitely don't want it leaking the entire time. Also, on my search yesterday, I ran across them on the dieselsite.com however they don't post the size that I see.

For example:

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=133

Thanks fo the tips though! I definitely need to do the CCV mod!

Mark

Last edited by MarkR; 01-19-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to F250 Fever
measure them yourself.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:07 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Its seems like Dieselsite is saying that the 7.3 IC boots are 3.0 inches. I don't think the simple green will hurt your current boots. I recently cleaned all of my stock boots when I had them off with brake cleaner and that seemed to work really good and of course its fast drying. Have pushed up to about 28 lbs of boost since then and they are still on. I am for sure going to get a CCV mod on soon though to get rid of all that oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.