Fuel water seperator - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel water seperator

Is the fuel water seperator supposed to drain on startup. I have had the 2000 7.3 for about 5 years and never noticed it before (at least in the volumne that it has lately).

I have had consistent trouble with hesitation since getting it back from a transmission repair and think it may be a water in fuel fuel pump problem.

Trying to figure out if it is a problemn at the seperator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The fuel water seperator has a valve on it that has to be opened. It's a yellow valve on the rear of the filter housing. Is there fuel leaking from the drain valve pipe. IF so the drain valve o-rings are probably bad.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:15 PM
addicted to diesel

no its not supposed to drain on start up id say the orings need to be replaced. heres a link: Welcome to guzzle's PSD Fuel Filter Drain Valve Repair Web Page
Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No only was it leaking on startup, but it pumped fuel when you turned the key to power (not start) and activated the fuel pump.

No replecement to be found at dealers or parts houses. Just ordered my new o-rings. Hopefully this will solve a lot of problems I was having that seemed like fuel delivery issues.

It was being delivered and passed right through the separator onto the ground

Not good for performance or fuel economy
Old 02-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

fuel water seperator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpu1983 View Post
The fuel water seperator has a valve on it that has to be opened. It's a yellow valve on the rear of the filter housing. Is there fuel leaking from the drain valve pipe. IF so the drain valve o-rings are probably bad.
Thanks, I thought I was done with all the maintenance.
I went out to the old green truck and pushed that yellow valve and do you know what happened. mmmmmmmmmmmmmNothing.....
Don't suppose those rubber o-rings would help that.
Thanks for your support
Old 12-14-2010, 04:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Location: Just outside the Pearly Gates in the Appalachian foothills of NE TN
I seem to remember

Back in '08 I had a problem where the housing had actually cracked causing fuel to seep/leak into the well on top of the engine. I suspect it was the below freezing temps. So, here we are two years later and I suspect I have been revisited by the evil spirit of the fuel/water separator. As I think back on it I don't remember asking about the frequency with which one should drain the thing.

Anyone have any thoughts on that subject?

EDIT...I'm leaving the above as a testament to my underwhelming level of knowledge regarding things automotive. Yes I can build you a mansion but I am lacking from a motorhead perspective and should have read guzzle's stuff in the first place.

With that said, let me ask for some insight. I didn't see anything in what I have read regarding periodic draining. I mentioned above about the filter bowl housing having cracked. I assumed that there was an "Excess" of water, which maybe I should have been smart enough to drain out as part of a regular maintenance program, that froze as a result of the extremely cold temps we were having at the time. Am I right in what I understand, short on information or totally out in left field?

Last edited by cowboyjg; 12-14-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Effort to remove the dunce cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.