6Spd or Auto Tranny? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6Spd or Auto Tranny?

Hi Folks

Somewhat of a newbie here, been shopping the past month or so for a 99/2000 7.3 PSD. I was pretty much set on a standard cab XL (no bells and whistles) 6spd with less than 130K on the clock. Then recently found a 2000 automatic with more miles (186K) but looks nicer (Chrome bumpers, split seats, carpet, alloy wheels, etc...) and is a little more expensive.

Here's the thing, I know from my research the manual gets better mpg. It's a little less complicated and clutches run anywhere from 100-160 some odd miles before replacement. When you do replace them the average cost seems to be ~$800 for a plain jane stock replacement.

I've heard stories about people loosing the transmissions in the automatics and the associated cost is quite expensive to replace (I've seen people mention $2500 and up on the boards) with a rebuild or totally new one from one of the powerstroke sponsors. I've also read the automatics get a little worse mileage than the manuals.

So my question is (and I know I'm going to have to look and drive both before making a decision) should I zero in on one or another? It'll be a Daily driver and work truck (by work truck I mean trips to the dump, hauling wood, mulch, pulling the occasional dingo, etc...) I pretty much prefer a manual over the auto any day, but the manual 7.3 psd I drove seemed like a beast. Haven't driven an automatic yet (going to do that today if I can) and see what the differences are. Can anyone give me some guidance?

Thanks - sorry for the long post...

Cletus

ps - btw both trucks are the same color and I understand the differences between the early 99 (manual truck)and the 2000 (automatic transmission truck) models. How much of a deal is the surge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2007, 04:09 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Welcome to the Forum!

I like manuals because every auto I have ever owned bit me in the end. The newer auto seem to be OK and shifting gears all the time does get old. Autos are great if you do a lot of city driving.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

gear rollover...
i hate that noise... so... anonying

and my clutch is chattery now to...
Old 04-05-2007, 06:10 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
If your looking for the MPG's and your towing, get the 6spd.
If your going to just be driving it to/from work, and would like the performance thing, get the AUTO.

I have the manual and I like it, but, it's not as quick as a similarly modded automatic truck. It all depends on what you want to do with your truck. My tranny rebuild cost me 2700 with a LUK clutch and Flywheel. A REALLY nice auto performance rebuild could cost you $2000-5000 depending on where you go and what you get.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:20 PM

I've never driven an automatic, but if you're gonna be doing much towing, I'd go with the 6sp. The 6sp is also has less miles and is cheaper. Someone else may know, but I think the early 99 motor a bit different than a 2000. Intercooler, turbo, etc.?
Old 04-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks folks, keep the opinions coming.

Another question - do any of you have experiences with the 'used car lots'? I've checked the engine on all the local trucks I've seen, one was so clean you could almost eat off of it...do the car lots clean the motors to impress you or should I assume they don't do much after they get them from the auction?

I'm starting to lean towards the manual mostly for mileage. I'm really tempted by the auto because the interior is a little nicer, truth be told, they both seem to be very clean in the pictures. It's a 3 hr drive to the auto and a 4 hour drive to the 6pd so I want to know if I REALLY want to buy one of them before comitting to the drive.

Thought of another downside to the Auto....SWMBO would be more likely to drive the auto than the 6 Spd.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Drove a 99 automatic today. Thing had 68K on the clock. It was clean as a whistle. Way out of my range. Still though, the thing was a rocket ship and much quieter than the other 99 6 spd I drove. It was a totally different ballgame. I now understand how it's easy to smoke people from the line in those things. I don't even have one yet and I'm already thinking more power!

It looks like I'm going to be making a long trip to go see the automatic and drive it. Then perhaps turn around and make another trip to drive the 6 spd. Whichever is tighter and quieter is coming home with me. There's another automatic (extended cab) locally I intend to drive with ~175k on the clock. That should give me a good comparison point for the 186k mile truck.

All I can say though is wow...what a freaking hoss truck!!!

If there's anyone in NC looking for a white standard cab 99.5 truck with 68K on the clock, pm me and I'll tell you where to look in ashboro, NC (I have no affiliation with the folks selling it) it's clean as new and someone here might have more $$$ than I do.

Cletus
Old 04-06-2007, 07:42 PM

the automatic is definately faster.... ALOT faster...
but i like my 6 spd though....
Old 04-06-2007, 08:24 PM

I wouldn't think you're gonna get much (noticeably) better mileage with the 6sp. go with what you like. After you get custom tuning (you know you will), you'll wish you had an auto, just to see how fast it is, I know I do. I still wouldn't trade my 6sp, but I tow ALOT.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via MSN to EJS
If you plan on towing like you stated, go with the stick. Autos are nice, but are less relaible when it comes to towing. FYI, good luck trying to getting a decent auto rebuild at $2500, your looking more at $4000 for anything that will last..Good luck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.