Looking to buy a new to me PSD. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking to buy a new to me PSD.

Now first things first I have been a diesel fanboy for years, and years. I got the fever when my neighbor got a 96 cummins. Now I was only 12 years old, but it changed my life for ever. I currently own a VW Jetta TDi, and I love that stupid thing to death. We went on a 3300 mile road trip with bicycles, roof cargo box, and didnt go below 75 in the rockies and got 44MPG. Plus I can sorta black smoke. Now I have a ton more back stories on diesel but thats not the point of this. I found a "unicorn" and I kind of want it. 01 Ext cab, short box, auto, SRW F350. It has about 128K on it, and the only thing I dont like is it, is that dark green. Colored cars just havent been my thing they are fine for everybody else, I just have always liked silver, black or white. Color isnt a huge deal, esp. since this is clean, new tires, never had a fifth wheel or anything. Stock exhaust, and intake, and it already has steps, kind of looks like an old man owned it. I haven't gone out to drive it yet because I wanted to get the inside tips and tricks to finding the truth out about this truck. I have bought 10 cars, I know the usual suspects, I just didnt know if there were any PSD tricks to look for. I've read alot about trannies being issues at about this age, and mileage. I didnt know if there are certain spots to look for rust, drips, or anything else odd. I know diesel inside and out from cummins to dmax, I just dont know much else about the PSD. Anything you guys have would be great since I dont want to get stiffed on my first truck purchase. 4wd is nothing new to me either, just fords, and their engines.
Thanks
Russ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

pardon my ignorance, why is it a "unicorn" is it the ext cab short box part? ive seen a bunch of those.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just meant since it is a SRW f350, with out a fifth wheel or gooseneck. since I am in the middle of Iowa and all the farm trucks out there this is an odd duck, esp since it looks like its never had a plow either. Just odd to find one not all farmed out.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Serving Our Country!

oh gotcha, good luck on getting it
Old 01-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So went to look at it tonight after every body was gone. Man that sucker is clean, very scratches and the only ones are just clear coat. It has reverse sensors, and the trailer hitch doesnt even look used. Tires are new, the entire under body was coated probably atleast 5 years ago, and it looks like it has never seen gravel or been off road. Stock exhaust, stock intake where all confirmed, no holes in dash, as far as I could tell. The truck was locked, and it was late on not an ok part of town, so I didnt spend to much time looking inside with my flashlight. The only thing is there is a minor front bumper dent in the chrome only. I found virtually no rust, except on things like the shocks and leaf springs. No holes for a 5th wheel or anything. I guess I will try to drive it on Monday. The only thing I found of some concern was an aftermarket CD player without a face, but the dealer probably took it off so it doesn't get stolen. I just wondered if people have anythings to look for when I take it for a drive Monday.
Thanks
Russ
Old 01-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Since it only has 128K and not much towing, I'd say you've got some life left in that tranny. Get on a long lonely straight away and lay on it. If it slams into gear, then it doesn't have much life left in it.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what to look for

These years body style are prone to rust on the bottom door skin, lift up the weather stripping and check where the skin folds over that is one of the first places rust will appear, check the tailgate where the skin meets as well on bottom inside. And another is the top of the wheel wells on the ouside because their are some small holes on the top inside well that holds moisture and salt so it rusts inside out. So doors,tailgate, bed wheel well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.