911 Ccv Mod You Must Read!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
911 Ccv Mod You Must Read!!!!!

Here is the link to my writeup yesterday. I am sending this out so you will be informed about the problem I have encountered with my setup! I hope nobody has gone out and bought this yet till I can do somemore testing! Jegs Crank Case Ventilation Filter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
What is the problem with it? To much pressre??
Old 04-03-2007, 04:14 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Sorry I actually put what I think might be the reason in the write up! I can't be sure till I look at it today, but until I find out what is causing my blowby I wanted to let people know not to go ahead with this till we figure this one out Here is what I wrote: Don't do this mod the way I did it until I do further testing!!!!!! I am having oil blowby through my turbo and I think its caused by this mod. This has been driving me nuts the last 24 hours. I for the life of me know I put the turbo together right. Its not rocket science, so I did some searching and found this:
The turbocharger “seals” play a secondary role in turbocharger oil control since the oil slingers are designed to prevent oil from reaching the seal areas. The primary role of the turbocharger seals is to prevent external gases (i.e., boost pressure and/or exhaust gas) from entering the center housing. Under most operating conditions in a blow-thru configuration, the gas pressures in the compressor and turbine housings are equal to or greater than the gas pressure in the turbocharger center housing (i.e., engine breather pressure). In this configuration, the pressure on the turbocharger seals is from the outside toward the inside and is actually trying to push any oil near the seal areas into the turbo.

If the engine breather system has been modified so that the engine crankcase cannot breathe and is causing excess crankcase pressure, this pressure is transmitted to the turbocharger center housing via the oil drain tube. In this situation, the crankcase pressure in the turbo center housing may exceed the compressor and/or turbine housing pressure; therefore, the pressure on the turbocharger seals is from the inside toward the outside and the crankcase pressure will push oil out of the center housing into the compressor and turbine housings. Excess crankcase pressure may be caused by engine breather modifications such as improperly installed performance breathers/catch cans or by worn or damaged engine components (i.e., pistons, rings, or cylinder walls) that result in severe combustion gas blow-by that pressurizes the engine crankcase and turbocharger center housing.

The only thing I can figure is by reducing the outlet side of the doghouse from 1/2 inch id to 3/8 and running it through the jegs filter is restricting it too much and causing to much back pressure. I am going to remove the hose in the am and see if my blowby changes. I am sorry for posting this and not testing it enough first. I hope I caught this soon enough before someone buys the filter and uses my writeup. I will do more testing tomorrow and get back with my findings!
Old 04-03-2007, 04:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
The only thing I can figure is by reducing the outlet side of the doghouse from 1/2 inch id to 3/8 and running it through the jegs filter is restricting it too much and causing to much back pressure.
It sounds like the same effect as replacing your stock 3.5" exhaust with a new 2.5" unit. Guzzle actually took some pressure readings before and after he installed his design. It seemed like he was worried about something like this happening.

I hate to see this not work! I have been hoping for a solution that more or less involved an inline filter to just seperate the oil and allow the system to work as originally designed.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I unhooked the 3/8 hose and reducer from the doghouse and no more smoke. So my setup is causing too much back pressure. Im going to try some different combinations this week and see if the filter is going to be usable or not!
Old 04-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
That sucks man. Hopefully you'll get something figured out!
Old 04-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
.........Guzzle actually took some pressure readings before and after he installed his design. It seemed like he was worried about something like this happening..........
Yep, and still not real comfortable with it.

Last summer after pulling the boat back across the divide from Lake Powell and parking the truck in the garage, I had a few drops of oil on the floor, dripping from the starter. Figured it was the pedestal o-rings starting to go. It wasn't bad so I orders some new o-rings. By the time they showed up, the leak stopped.

Running around empty, not much load does not seem to be a problem but hard running, towing a load, I may be pushing it through a seal somewhere. Pedestal o-rings don't fix themselves and I still have not found where the leak was.

I am still contemplating a new design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.