oil cooler end cap differences. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil cooler end cap differences.

i purchased an oil cooler from a member for my buddies 97 f350 4x4. the guy stated it was from an 00 and when i went to install it the sucker was wrong! the end caps hold the cooler tube lower than the unit on my buddies truck. ive installed tens of these things and didnt realize thier were different end caps. i install them on ihc chassis trucks and thats what the one i got looks like. all of the f series coolers i have seen the front cap comes stright out and the rear cap holds the tube level with it. on the ihc chassis the front cap drops the tube lower and the rear cap holds it level. when trying to install that on an f series it hits the engine mounts (on a 97 anyway). i tried to explain this to the guy i bought it from but he says it came off an 00 350. so i guess what im asking is do the 99 and up 350's and excursions use the drop down front cap? or is it the cap that comes straight out like the 97's? any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Oilfield Trash

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i coulda sworn that the psd 7.3(94-03) parts were mostly the same. but i guess not

this is off my 97 f350 7.3 when i did the oil cooler last year

Old 01-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah see how the cooler is raised up over the mount. and the front header comes straight out from the block. on the ihc's and the one this guy sent me the cooler is dropped down and interferes with the motor mount. im just wondering if the 99 up is different. i already asked the guy for a refund but he says he has no use for the cooler.......real nice. the cooler is in great shape but the end caps wont work for a ford i guess unless the later ones are different.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Oilfield Trash

ok i have a 99 sd out in the parking lot. i go on break in 30 mins. then ill go out and take some pics with my phone and upload em to see if theres a difference.

the ihc you are talkin about is the international ver?

do you have a pic of this oil cooler?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

nah its at my buddies house or i would post up a pic. yeah i work on mostly medium duty ihc''s (internationals) for a living thats why when i saw the cooler i was like yup thats it. and he told me it came off an 00 350. when my bud said it wouldnt fit i was like wtf do you mean! thanks for gettig me some pics of the 00 you have. ill check this post in the morning.

Last edited by slimbo5; 10-01-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Oilfield Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbo5 View Post
nah its at my buddies house or i would post up a pic. yeah i work on mostly medium duty ihc''s (internationals) for a living thats why when i saw the cooler i was like yup thats it. and he told me it came off an 00 350. when my bud said it wouldnt fit i was like wtf do you mean! thanks for gettig me some pics of the 00 you have. ill check this post in the morning. time for me to hit the sack. i work the 5pm to 130 am shift as a fleet mechanic for a large package delivery company. night hours stink.
you tellin me man. i currently work 8pm-5am and it has screwed up my normal schedule.

have a good night man
Old 01-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Oilfield Trash

the best i could get of the front right now. when im off work ill post a better one

Old 01-12-2010, 02:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bockhold View Post
the best i could get of the front right now. when im off work ill post a better one

That one would have come in handy when I was asking about block heater cords...

Bump?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

From the looks of it i would say the member got the best of me. He doesnt want to return my money and its obvious it didnt come off an f series. Its likely a motor he had that he didnt realize came out of an ihc chassis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.