Looking to buy my first diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking to buy my first diesel

Alright fellas Im asking to be schooled on what to look for when buying a 99-04 PSD. I have been wanting to get a diesel for a few years, and now that I have my F150 about to be sold I want something better to tow the jeep around. I will end up bombing it to some degree What do I need to know when looking for a used PSD? I will prolly end up buying one with over a 100K due to limited funds. I would buy a 6.0L but I have read some horror stories about them...should I consider the 6.0L? Thanks guys and I look forward to nice journey on the diesel side. Heres my jeep if your bored My working project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 AM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
First off- WELCOME to the site!! You have come to the right place! Second- There are plenty of great trucks with the 7.3 engine that are still working for a living that have 2,3, even 400k on them. About the 6 liter, I have read that 03 and 04 you may need to do some homework first, but most bugs worked out by 05 and 06. I drive a 7.3 so I cant be of much help on the 6.0.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea71 View Post
First off- WELCOME to the site!! You have come to the right place! Second- There are plenty of great trucks with the 7.3 engine that are still working for a living that have 2,3, even 400k on them. About the 6 liter, I have read that 03 and 04 you may need to do some homework first, but most bugs worked out by 05 and 06. I drive a 7.3 so I cant be of much help on the 6.0.

thanks for the kind welcome. I have always heard good things about the 7.3, that was kind of the reason why I wanted to stick with that over the 6.0L....and I cant afford a 05+ truck...mucho denaro

when searching for a used truck what are some things to check when your test driving one (trans, engine)? My bro has an 01 Duramax with a 170K on it (dont flame me yet) and he loves it. I like it too, but I want a truck with a solid axle in the front, and plus I like the looks of the Ford better. I know with the Duramax they had issues with the injectors, and the allison once you start bombing it.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:37 AM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
This thread should help you out a whole bunch. Check it out-

What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD
Old 04-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Banned

I have a 2000 and a 2003 7.3 and 6.0. My 6.0 has been very good to me 80K and never once been in the shop. I'm a stickler when it comes to maintance. That may have something to do with it. My 7.3 has 225K and also not been to the shop or had any tranny issues, again maintance is key. I personally love the 7.3 and have decided if anything had to go it would be the 6.0. Wise choice on the solid axle. You being a jeep guy you know how simple the entire setup is to work on. A few things I would look for when test driving or just plain looking are.

See how easy it starts, if a diesel is low on compression it will have a hard time starting.

Look for leaks undernieth, so many people get cought up in the excitement of a new rig they forget the simple things to look at.

drive it, see how it track, and maybe have someone follow you to see if there is any dog tracking. Look at the steering link and make sure it's not worn out.

Jack it up!! One failer know to these trucks are the balljoints.

A few tricks I do to check the engines life is to warm the engine to operating temp, unscrew the oil fill and see how much blow by comes out. You will always have some, but much more than what a cigarett would put out may be excssive. Something else I do is to take the air cleaner lid off while the engine is running, put your hand into the lid where the tube comes in. Diesel suck 90% more air than a gas engine does, so you should feel the suction trying to pull your hand to the hose like a vacuum. If you can barley feel any suction you have a warn engine.

Last and most important, try try try to get some service records and an oasis report. Good luck, there are plenty of great 7.3 left out there so take your time, don't be in a hurry and you will come out on top.

Shawn
Old 04-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Welcome to Powerstroke.org
Old 04-02-2007, 02:19 PM

dont be affraid to look at the early 7.3 lika 95-97 they are still great just an older computer but they will still make the power my 97 will hang with the new big dogs like the 02s and up
Old 04-02-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97stroker_roalin_coal View Post
dont be affraid to look at the early 7.3 lika 95-97 they are still great just an older computer but they will still make the power my 97 will hang with the new big dogs like the 02s and up
I dont have anything against the 95-97s its just I really like the looks of the newere ones.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

For your first diesel, I'd go with the 7.3. It is very reliable and Easy to work on and then after some time of getting to know diesels, (they are different), then look at jumping up to a 6.0 if you feel the need for more power.
But if it is power you want, just like a jeep, everyone makes aftermarket parts for the 7.3 and you could easily get it up to 400 hp. Good luck and hope to hear from you again.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
You will not regret getting a diesel trust me! Lots of fun and efficient!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.