OK..really stupid question re: ccv mod? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OK..really stupid question re: ccv mod?

I know..I know..just try no to laugh too hard ok? But..exactly what are the benefits to doing this CCV mod I'm always hearing about? This beast of mine, an E 550, doesn't have an intercooler so any benefit in that direction is moot. Does it help increase power??fuel mileage??, smooth out wrinkles and age lines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 AM
im fat and ugly

if im not mistaken, it is to prevent oil from blowing into the turbo
Old 04-02-2007, 10:19 AM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
Stumps right. The way the ccv is set up from the factory sends all the engine oily gasses straight into the turbo. I have my ccv piped to the rear of the truck and once youve seen what comes out of the hose, then you know what it is sending back thru the turbo!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 11:10 AM

OK...whats the up side and the down side to this little mod. In a nut shell guys, I'm trying to figure out the most I can do in terms of getting better power and mileage, for the least amount of buck. After all this time being dycked over by Allegheny Ford on fixing this beast, mind you it STILL doesn't run right..better, not right, I'm so broke and far behind on my bills sometimes I think I'm ahead. So, whatever I can do for the least amount of cash the better. Am open to any and ALL suggestions (so long as it will increase both power AND economy....and btw...theres a black plastic box tied into the intake hose pre-turbo...doesn't seem to be connected to any sensor..any idea on what this IS and do I need it?
Old 04-02-2007, 01:19 PM
im fat and ugly

the up side is that it reroutes the oil from going into the turbo, the down side is depending on how you route the piping you may have in cab fumes or unwanted smoke

as for cheap mods, you could do a zoodad mod=

zoodad

zoodad2

the diy intake=

diy

10k mod=

10k mod

and then you could delete the muffler and cat(if you have one) with straight pipe,

that should help ya a bit
Old 04-02-2007, 01:45 PM

ok...thanks stump. As for the "Zoodad" well, would work fine if this were an F series..unfortunately, its an E series, and ya got just enough room under the hood for 1 spit and 4 cuss words, thats whats making coming up with a better intake so daymn hard. About the only option is to cut a big freeking hole in the hood and fabricate some sort of "scoop" arrangement. I've got most of what I need to make a mold for a large air box, but frankly, I haven't got the stones just yet to be cutting my hood. Just finished the 10K mod..a bit more vibration @ idle..nothing severe, just more pronounced in the butt, a tad better performance wise but need to drive it more than 10 miles to really tell, same goes as to any mileage increase. As to the cat..this rig doesn't have one..its a commercial vehicle, 19,000GVWR so I doubt it ever had one..the muffler..well, I'm old, but not hard of hearing(yet) so I want to keep that, maybe go with a straight-through muff. As I understand it, they're not as quiet as a reg muff, but they allow a smoother exhaust flow.
thanks.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:48 PM

Without an IC there is no reason to do the CCV mod like most do. If you have the plastic tube that the CCV vents too, simply replace it with a 4" piece of exhaust tubing and then weld a bung into it and vent it right back into the intake. The whole reason to vent the ccv is to prevent the oil film coating the IC... without one there is nothing to gain other then the increase in air flow by removing the little restriction you might have with the POS factory piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.