Installed boost gauge - disconnected red line - when does the defueling happen? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installed boost gauge - disconnected red line - when does the defueling happen?

Hi all -
I installed a boost gauge today. I installed it in the intake manifold and it works great. Steady needle, etc. I accidentally kinked the line pushing it through the firewall so I had to patch it with vac hose, but other than that it was an easy install. I placed the gauge in the bottom left corner of the dash, under the windshield. I used a 2 1/16" gauge, a basic VDO 90 degree bracket and... you will never believe this... a blackstone oil sample mailer (black cylinder) as a gauge pod. It looks great, I cut the threads off it, and a hole in the bottom for the line and the wires, it looks like it was made for it. Thanks blackstone!!
With Superchips mileage tune, red line connected, I would get 20-21 psi max. With Superchips performance tune, red line connected, I get 22-23 psi. With the red line disconnected, I saw 25-26 and backed off each time. I read alot about it 'defueling' when you get over 24 psi, but will this still be if I have a Superchips tune running? Should I worry about leaving it unplugged? I like how much cleaner WOT is with the perf tune with the line disconnected. If it did defuel, would it just defuel for the time then keep fueling or does it cause some drama? Do you have to pull over and turn off the truck or anything? One post said something about 'limp home mode' and I was not so excited about that.
So what do you say? I know there is a lot of info out there but none of it really agrees.
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 09:26 PM

Right around 24 lbs... now you didn't see a light? But you ought to scrap that superchips and get a good chip... the updated chips are much better now..
Old 01-09-2010, 09:32 PM

nope, no light and it was def over 25 when I let off each time. I def plan to get a chip, I got a really good deal on this tuner, so it works for me now.
Scott
Old 01-09-2010, 09:34 PM

No boost fooler at all?
Old 01-09-2010, 09:44 PM

Nothing of the sort.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:49 PM

You can tell when it defuels. It is very sluggish, you lose power, then it comes back in a few minutes... Usually a light comes on in the dash.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:34 AM

Ok ill try and get it to do it today....that way I will know if my superchips prevents the defueling. So unplugging the wastegate only yields extra max boost pressure or does it also alter things while buiding boost too? Build boost faster or what?
Just don't want to destroy the turbo - if its an all the time change I may be hooking it back up. Any thoughts? Anyone destroy a turbo and think its from unplugging the red line?
Thanks! Scott
PS - I also didn't plug it when I removed it, I have yet to drive it since I plugged it last night. Having had a boost leak, I expect to see even more boost.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:39 AM

It lets you see more boost, a few times isn't going to hurt your turbo. You just don't do it all the time... but your truck should defuel. I don't think the superchips has a no codes tune on it... Make sure you plug the red line though!!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:50 AM

Here is a pic of how the blackstone bottle was used as a pod and how it looks if anyone is feeling cheap.

Scott
Old 01-10-2010, 12:01 PM

Ok, confirmed. I saw about 28 lbs of boost, then I got a check engine light. I didn't notice the defueling because I had already backed off. I connected the red tube in the next parking lot. Not worth it.
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.