pointers on a little friendly race - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pointers on a little friendly race

Been wanting to run my buddy for awhile now but have been holding off not wanting to screw my truck up. Being a first time diesel guy with all the mods Id like a little imput.
When I run down the highway in the 150hp extreme tune on the DP tuner, the egt's climb and hold pretty quick and I have to get out of the throttle to bring them back down. Is there anything I can do here? I was told anything over 1400 is not good for more than a couple seconds. How do you guys do it in these videos I keep seeing with your foot pasted to the floor for a mile or so??

On a boosted 4wd launch.........do you shift back to 2hi after you get rolling good or stay in 4hi? Was always taught 4hi was only good to 55 or so.
Any info would be greatly apricated while I get ready to run him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Seeing EGT's spike over 1300 won't hurt. Staying above 1300 for a long time will.

As far as shifting back out of 4Hi, it's pointless, because even if you turn the switch on your dash, it won't shift out until there is no load, which means after the race when you get out of the throttle.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:47 PM

When you say a long time what are you thinking like 5 min or 30 seconds?
It does not hurt the 4x4 to run in 4hi on pavement going 90mph or so?
Old 01-09-2010, 02:42 PM

Sounds like your doing this at the track if you're starting off from complete stop and not on the street and "on the roll". And that is good stuff if you're doing this on the track and away from the street

As far as the EGT's. You don't wanna be above 1200-1300 for more than about a minute. Gauge yourself a minimum allowance of 45 seconds and no more.......and you'll be fine. Lot's of research here on the .org suggest that it takes about 2 minutes or so to sink a piston in over-elevated EGT's. So, if you take less than half that time (45-50 seconds), you should be covered.

Not really sure about the 4wd part but I agree it doesn't sound good about leaving it in 4wd all that time.......and at those speeds.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to F250 Fever
what kind of truck does your buddy got? with what mods too?
Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 PM

He has a 99 Durango with a 360 and just bought a nice 99 f250 with 205,000 miles on it. Its the Durango thts always getting reved up next to me! He is stock on that besides a flowmaster catless exhaust. We have come close to running a few times but I have help off not knowing what I can and cant do with this truck.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:19 PM

Just put it down, unless your racing for more than a mile, you will be out of the pedal before anything over heats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.