Cold start and fuse problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to spdjnky_42
Cold start and fuse problem

Its been 0 deg for a few days here and the truck is not wanting to start. It took several cranks and foot on throttle to start it yestarday. Today it took a jump and foot on throttle. I noticed the GFCI was tripping on the house but i assumed it just had moisture in the cord. Now Im wondering if the fuel heater is bad. Can someone tell me if i need to cycle the wts a few times when its this cold or if i need to replace a battery(which side cause it did slow crank) or what # fuse is the fuel heater on the 02 7.3 If it helps this truck has 143,000 miles. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is the #30 fuse. if you replace it and it blows again, disconnect the heater. It is on the back bottom of the fuel bowl. Then replace fuse again. Wait to start light should then turn back on.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyglez View Post
It is the #30 fuse. if you replace it and it blows again, disconnect the heater. It is on the back bottom of the fuel bowl. Then replace fuse again. Wait to start light should then turn back on.
My wts light is working and #30 on an 02 is only a 15A dont think thats the right one.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdjnky_42 View Post
My wts light is working and #30 on an 02 is only a 15A dont think thats the right one.
# 30 should be a 30 amp. Is it cranking? If it is cranking slow, Replace both batteries.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:01 AM

Send a message via MSN to pinkfloyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdjnky_42 View Post
#30 fuse in my truck is the high beems and it's a 15 amp fuse.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 AM

Did you test the gpr? Get your batteries tested. If your wait to start light is working I don't think there should be a problem with your fuses.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 AM

OH and if you have a bad battery, replace both of them.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:19 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Wait a min...

Fuel heater, GFI?

I think you've got this mixed-up. The 110v plug your GFI controls has nothing to do with your fuel heater. It is a "block heater" located above the oil filter. If it's really cold this will assist in cold starting if your glowPlug system is working OK. If your GPs are NOT working the block heater becomes a necessity (if it's ZERO degrees and your block heater is NOT working AND you can get it started at all, your GP system IS working )

The fuel heater is located in the bottom of the filter housing, under the plastic cover, at the top/front of your engine. It doesn't really assist in starting but is more to help with fuel gelling / water freezing in the filter. If you blow fuse #30 over & over again it's shorted and will prevent the PCM from powering and will never start at all. You'll know the PCM is out because you won't have a WTS light.

Speaking of the WTS,,, when the light goes out it does Not mean the GPs are off, it's just a timer. So, don't "cycle" the key on/off to keep the light lit, simply leave the key ON past when the light goes out when it's really cold (maybe 1 min)

Batteries, charge them up full and the next morning when you goto start put a volt meter you can read through the windshield on either one and watch the voltage go down as you crank. See what it drops to, if it's down around 11v they're tired (make sure your terminals are scraped/cleaned/greased/tight all around for a proper test)

If they're the original batteries, you need new by now. If not how old are they?
Old 01-12-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Wait a min...

Fuel heater, GFI?

I think you've got this mixed-up. The 110v plug your GFI controls has nothing to do with your fuel heater. It is a "block heater" located above the oil filter. If it's really cold this will assist in cold starting if your glowPlug system is working OK. If your GPs are NOT working the block heater becomes a necessity (if it's ZERO degrees and your block heater is NOT working AND you can get it started at all, your GP system IS working )

The fuel heater is located in the bottom of the filter housing, under the plastic cover, at the top/front of your engine. It doesn't really assist in starting but is more to help with fuel gelling / water freezing in the filter. If you blow fuse #30 over & over again it's shorted and will prevent the PCM from powering and will never start at all. You'll know the PCM is out because you won't have a WTS light.

Speaking of the WTS,,, when the light goes out it does Not mean the GPs are off, it's just a timer. So, don't "cycle" the key on/off to keep the light lit, simply leave the key ON past when the light goes out when it's really cold (maybe 1 min)

Batteries, charge them up full and the next morning when you goto start put a volt meter you can read through the windshield on either one and watch the voltage go down as you crank. See what it drops to, if it's down around 11v they're tired (make sure your terminals are scraped/cleaned/greased/tight all around for a proper test)

If they're the original batteries, you need new by now. If not how old are they?

Thanks! Block heater had a bad plug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.