ebp sensor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 05:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ebp sensor

The exhaust back pressure sensor thats in front of the motor, with the tube to the pass side manifold, whats it do?
I have read how to clean it. How would you know if you need to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Old 01-09-2010, 04:27 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
anyone??????
Old 12-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im not sure if you have read the others posts recently about this but you can notice worse fuel mileage or it can throw engine codes if its bad enough or it can make your trck sound like a jet engine taking off which is what mine sounded like but just assumed it was normal cause i just bought the truck a little over a year ago and thats how it sounded since i bought it. but my truck has a 165k on it and just read about this problem the other day and pulled mine off and the sensor and bracket nut assembly was almost completely plugged up. i have heard its a good idea to take it and the tube off twice a year to clean it so you dont have any problems with it so thats what im going by
Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Winning DUHHH

Its designed to help warm the engine up faster, by putting a load on it.

Speaking of, I need to clean mine tomorrow
Old 12-30-2010, 10:00 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Make sure you don't snap it off when you put it back on either. That was an expensive mistake I made.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

Generally, my experience is that it won't close the valve on COLD startup. I took my EBPV out, but when it was still in my line was plugged and didn't think it was causing any problems (which it really wasn't other than longer warm up times) until I borrowed my buddies truck and heard his "jet engine" at warm up. Almost freaked me out for a minute until I realizeed what it was. It basically sends the backpressure to the computer so it knows how far it wants to close the valve...at least that is my understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake18 View Post
Make sure you don't snap it off when you put it back on either. That was an expensive mistake I made.
The factory sensor is pretty tough and I didn't have any problems with it the first few times removing it, but the aftermarket one I bought (after mine wasn't working after a good cleaning. It was a good bit cheaper than the dealer part and was brass...that one broke off with hardly any pressure first time installing it. Had to pull the dang plate and drill and tap it again. I got lucky and they warrantied it for me so just a big PITA. I'm very careful these days...lol.

-Aaron
Old 12-31-2010, 08:30 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF350 View Post
The factory sensor is pretty tough and I didn't have any problems with it the first few times removing it, but the aftermarket one I bought (after mine wasn't working after a good cleaning. It was a good bit cheaper than the dealer part and was brass...that one broke off with hardly any pressure first time installing it. Had to pull the dang plate and drill and tap it again. I got lucky and they warrantied it for me so just a big PITA. I'm very careful these days...lol.

-Aaron
I snapped my original one off after I cleaned it. Drilling and tapping the plate was not very fun at all.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:32 PM

dont want to steal the thread...but if i take the ebv tube off, clean it, and take the sensor out and clean it, it will take the jet engine noise away when cold?? mine does it for along time when its cold. getting annoying ahah
Old 12-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullie250 View Post
dont want to steal the thread...but if i take the ebv tube off, clean it, and take the sensor out and clean it, it will take the jet engine noise away when cold?? mine does it for along time when its cold. getting annoying ahah
No. The "jet engine" noise is normal when it's cold and at idle. I've never been somewhere cold enough to experience it, but supposedly it may make that noise when driving also....Never seen it myself, as soon as I step on the brake to put it in gear it goes away on the trucks I have experience with. It is a butterfly valve at the turbo exit that closes to create more backpressure that helps the engine warm up faster. The noise is the air rushing past it.
-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.