what all is needed cummins conversion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what all is needed cummins conversion

I have a 2000 7.3 and am just kind of pondering the thought of putting a cummins 12 valve in my truck. On fordcummins.com the have the full kit on there for right around 3k and im assuming that i would have to make a custom down pipe but what about the intercooler pipes? I was wondering if thats all you need or if theres more to it then just the kit. I dont want people telling me to just go buy a dodge because i dont want one if i did then i wouldnt have bought my ford. I think that a cummins in a ford would be the ultimate truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 04:37 AM

I agree with you on the cumins/ford being the ultimate.

ANyway, I believe it was november, Diesel World Magazine had alot of info on Cummins swaps, including putting one in a Ford. Might want to buy a back issue.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
im paying attention to this...id like to find an SD with a blown motor and do this swap..
Old 01-08-2010, 09:18 AM

fordcummins has a whole instruction manuel on doing the swap...i dont think you have to do a custom downpipe or any special intercooler routing...ill be starting my 12 valve motor build in acouple months and hope to get it in the truck about a year from now...700 horse should be some fun
Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 AM

also checkout destroked.com
Old 01-08-2010, 09:54 AM

I hate to say this... but you guys ought to check out PSN... there is a fantastic conversions forum on there. Lots of guys that have done it...
Old 01-08-2010, 11:35 AM

There has to be something done to the down pipe unless you can just use the down pipe off a dodge. Im just really trying to figure out why people are saying that its going to cast no less then 10k to do the swap. I can get a desent 12 valve for around 1500 and the kit is about 3k. Im sure im missing something but what else am i forgetting that cost around 5k? I just dont really see anything else
Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relytt58 View Post
There has to be something done to the down pipe unless you can just use the down pipe off a dodge. Im just really trying to figure out why people are saying that its going to cast no less then 10k to do the swap. I can get a desent 12 valve for around 1500 and the kit is about 3k. Im sure im missing something but what else am i forgetting that cost around 5k? I just dont really see anything else
I dont think the kit includes the adapter plate for the tranny but i could be wrong.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:15 PM

FordCummins.com: '99+ Ford SuperDuty Overview The kit at the bottom of the page looks like it comes with everything. Maybe people are just assuming that it has to be done at a shop and thats why they say atleast 10k for the swap. Im going to be doing it all my self. I was really looking into how much it would really cost to get my 7.3 up to around 500hp and its going to cost less to just put a cummins in there and you can get alot of reliable power out of a cummins for fairly cheap. I also hate having the same thing as other people i like my things to be unique
Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relytt58 View Post
FordCummins.com: '99+ Ford SuperDuty Overview The kit at the bottom of the page looks like it comes with everything. Maybe people are just assuming that it has to be done at a shop and thats why they say atleast 10k for the swap. Im going to be doing it all my self. I was really looking into how much it would really cost to get my 7.3 up to around 500hp and its going to cost less to just put a cummins in there and you can get alot of reliable power out of a cummins for fairly cheap. I also hate having the same thing as other people i like my things to be unique
I looked and read closer after i posted that, im sorry. yes it does look like it comes with every thing except the engine for $3,003.... im thinking most people get the 10k price because if you buy an engine through them they cost i believe it said 6k for a 12v or 8k for the common rail. maybe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.