Should I Keep Her? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I Keep Her?

Well guys, I'm at a loss right now, so I want any input you can give me on whether I should get rid of my early-99 7.3 F350. I love my Ford trucks, but this truck (first Ford diesel I've owned) has turned out to be such a piece of sh*t, it's unbelievable. I'm seriously considering going to an older Cummins, because my buddy that has a 94 Ram hasn't had a single day down-time in his Cummins in the three years I've known him. With my truck, it's usually off the road for something or an other at least two or three days a month since I got it.

Story goes, I bought the truck in March 2009 in Georgia, it's been a Georgia one-owner truck it's whole life with 129k on the clock. Got it for a killer deal, so I was stoked, plus it was 100% rust free. All summer I drove it, a lot, almost 30k, didn't give me any problems whatsoever except the CPS (replaced at the dealer per recall), and the water pump was leaking (quick, cheap, easy fix). I don't neglect the truck, all maintenance is up to par, don't really beat on it either, just a lot of on-road driving.

However, as soon as it got colder out, the truck has been non-stop giving me issues. Batteries I bought 3 months ago are not starting the truck anymore (lost the receipt), I can't afford another $240 on goddamn batteries. Starter went, had to replace it in a parking lot. Turbo pedestal seals (and who knows what else) are leaking a LOT of oil. Truck is also smoking like crazy on start up (blue smoke). The truck isn't building proper boost anymore. There's now a diesel leak too, and while I'm at it, the truck is leaking coolant now too since I decided to use the block heater for the first time.

Simply put, I can't afford this bullcrap. Now that it's real cold out, something on the truck is breaking on at least a weekly basis, and I can't afford to keep pouring money and time into this, just to have the truck down again. I need a truck that I can fire up and be ready to go. What am I doing wrong here? Maybe it's right, maybe Ford really does stand for Fix Or Repair Daily... but hey with my truck, at least they circled the goddamn problem.

Last edited by phatfantom68; 01-07-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Never had a problem with my 2000 w/275k miles. The common stuff: HPOP o rings, alternators, batteries. Check your GPs and GPR, see if they are good. O rings just go bad sometimes, not that big a deal. Just replace em. DIY, learn a lot, and feel really good when you're done.
Might have some bad battery cables. Check em at all the ends. You might have a boost leak at the blue boots on the IC system, not that bad a thing at all. Blue smoke at start up just means it's cold.
Where is the diesel leaking from?
And where's the coolant leaking from?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've looked into it, and while individual fixes may be cheap, there is so much wrong with this truck, I can't afford to fix it, just to have more stuff keep going wrong. I realize all cars will have stuff go wrong, but to have one thing after another is just ridiculous. None of my F250 and F350 gassers I've owned in the past ever had any issues whatsoever.

Diesel is leaking from the fuel bowl drain (cheap o-ring fix), not sure where else.

Coolant is leaking from the passenger floorboard, meaning it's more than likely the heater core. I don't have the time or need to do a heater core if it involves pulling the dash in this freezing weather.

I have a car (Mercury Marauder), that's been great to me in this snow, so I think I might just let the truck sit around til spring (prolly rust too, since it won't drive to the quarter wash), and tackle everything then and sell it immediately.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 AM

Well sorry to hear it. Sometimes stuff just goes wrong. Not sure what to tell ya.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:22 PM

Im not sure what to tell you but I went through the same thing with my 94 F150 right after I got it 2 yrs ago. I have put tons of parts on it but now its a dang good ol' truck to have around for a back up rig if for some reason the stroker goes down.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i am in basically the same boat with you. i bought this truck, 2000 f-250 6speed extended cab, in march 2009. this truck has had two previous owners, one in the oil field and the other a carpenter up in the mountains. it had 222000 when i bought it. the first week i had it had bad glow plugs, relay, batteries. Got all of that fixecd and ran if for about a month. then the clutch went out, got that fixed, and then the tranny went. replaced that. then had to get new tires which was expected. then my hubd started making a clinking noise, probably bad all together. one of the pins blew on the valved cover harness for the glow plugs. the dip stick port nut stripped out, fixed that. the truck has been a lot of work, and a bit of money but i picked it up really really cheap and have not put that many parts in it. i am holding on to it now because its reliable and i know that all the work i did on it has been done right so i wont have to do it again. i have on more than one ocassion wanted to sell the truck, but its a 6 speed and they are hard to come by around here. either way you go dont look back.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:51 PM

its just an older truck that need some parts, fix it, keep it, drive it.. from what you explained its not going to cost a crazy amount of cash! Good Luck!

- forgot about the boost problem, not sure on the cost of that! But if you do fit it, at that point I would keep it.

Last edited by chrispaine; 01-07-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:53 PM

your better off selling imo. cut your losses and move on. maybe you just bought a lemon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.