Looking to buy, what to look for? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking to buy, what to look for?

I'm looking to replace my 2000 Windstar with something bigger, as I have 4 kids- the oldest is 15 and as big as me at 6'05". I need something that can haul 6 people (including driver) around comfortably on vacation. Minivans are just too small for my family.

I have a relative who works at a dealership and I found a truck there that I like. It's a 2002 F-250 XLT Diesel. Auto trans and some other options. 129,000 miles. It looks very clean and well maintained, even the engine from what I can see in pictures, and of course because it's family that will be my salesperson, I'm not worried about getting a piece of junk.

I did notice that some A-pillar gauges had been added, but I don't know what they are yet. The beginning price is $16,000. KBB says excellent condition fair market value with the options the truck has is $19000.

My question is, what should I be looking for as potential problems with a truck with this many miles on it?

Also, with the switch to ULS fuels, the removal of sulphur will lower the lubricating properties of diesel fuel- how does that affect the longevity of the engine and fuel pump? Are diesels still going to have the same reputation of going many hundreds of thousands of miles without requiring a rebuild? I need something reliable and don't want to be forking over thousands in repair bills down the road.

Sorry for these questions, I'm new to trucks and diesels especially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 02:34 AM
OBS Forever!!!!!!

First of all welcome to the ORG!!!!

Even though the salesman is family I would look around at alot of these trucks, 16K seems just a tad high.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:54 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD
Old 01-07-2010, 04:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
To answer your question about ULSD lots of people use a fuel additive, I actually put 2 stroke oil in my tank, truck lovessss it. Diesel Kleen is a common one but it doesnt lubricate too well. I believe the best is OptiLube Summer Blend. Anyway hope that helps.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is it a serious concern then- as in order to make the engine last as long as it would have with ULSD, you have to use additives on every fill-up? What about bio-diesel blends? Bio-diesel is supposed to be more lubricating than petro-diesel. Several stations where I live sell blends.

What about the 2007 and newer trucks- were those engines designed with this in mind- meaning they will last as long as the earlier engines would have on petro-diesel by running ULSD?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I call it peace of mind to run something, not to mention my truck likes it and runs smoother with 2stroke oil.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to thesmokinstroke02
check for an excursion for the 6 people issue . get one with a 7.3 and itll last you forver
Old 01-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A few pictures:

The ad says 40/20/40 split bench front seats, but that doesn't look like the center section flips up into a seat to me. My youngest is only 7, the oldest 15. The little one can sit in the middle front seat for a few years, and then the oldest will (hopefully) be out on his own. BUT- if that's not a seat in the middle then it's a deal breaker because the truck won't seat 6.

Oh, and I got the mileage wrong- but not by a lot- 123,5xx miles.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah, those are captains chairs in the front, only seatbelts for 5 . Nice looking truck though, I like the dark grey seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.