Power Steering and Door Lock Problems!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Steering and Door Lock Problems!!

I have just purchased a 00 F-250 7.3 4x4 and it has a few problems I need some help with. First, the power steering works, but grunts like it is low on fluid when you turn. It does it while driving and sitting still. I have been told that the pumps are underpowered and that I may just have to deal with it. Also, the power door locks try to work, but they just don't make the trip (one all four doors). They move a little when you hit the button, so there is power there, but it acts like there is not enough. So do I need to start replacing door actuators or is there another problem. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstroker
I have just purchased a 00 F-250 7.3 4x4 and it has a few problems I need some help with. First, the power steering works, but grunts like it is low on fluid when you turn. It does it while driving and sitting still. I have been told that the pumps are underpowered and that I may just have to deal with it. Also, the power door locks try to work, but they just don't make the trip (one all four doors). They move a little when you hit the button, so there is power there, but it acts like there is not enough. So do I need to start replacing door actuators or is there another problem. Thanks for any help.
for the power steering problem...it is common enough for those pumps to make noise.....no less if it has EVER been run low on fluid......then you cant shut them up.....the only way to fix the noise is to replace the pump....and be vary leary of aftermarket pumps as they are often noisy from the store.....even some factory pumps make noise and you will end up having to take it back..but the aftermarket tend to be worse....that all said...if the noise isnt bugging you so bad that you feel you have to replace the pump....as long as the fluid is full and the pump still works....its just a nusance.......

on the door locks......yea, your door lock actuators are weak.....and it is common for them to go all at the same time, since they all cycle every time you hit lock or unlock on the door switch...and every time you hit the key fob.....even if the door was already in the postion that you wanted it in.........you will have to replace them all for all the doors to work...replacing one will not help the other ones..........Marc
Old 03-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the much needed help! Do you think that it is a good idea to replace the actuators with aftermarket ones to save on cost or take out a loan and send it to the dealership?
Old 03-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all the much needed help! Do you think that it is a good idea to replace the actuators with aftermarket ones to save on cost or take out a loan and send it to the dealership?
i tried to find aftermarket actuators for another member on the forum and couldnt do it........if you find them...please let me know...i dont think the aftermarket would be a problem with them...i just couldnt find them........and you can purchase the factory ones and instal them yourself and save yourself some $$$....but if you take it in....make sure to tell them to replace all four (or two if yours is not a crew) door lock actuators and that you dont want to pay for diag....you just want them replaced.......Marc
Old 03-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

thats interesting, mine does all the same that he explained. PS and PDL
Old 03-22-2006, 09:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
My power steering doesn't seem near as easy as my buddy's 03 ram. But I deal with it. Also I'm the other member that Marc was referring to on the PDL problem. Mine started to go about six months ago, now only one seems to still work somewhat. It's annoying, but I almost don't care anymore cuz i'm so used to using my keys to open the doors. I priced the actuators and they're like 70 a piece and a good day to do on my own from what Marc said..
Old 03-23-2006, 03:51 AM

You're right about the time, I can only imagine wha all four would take. Like I said up there, my truck does the same, and the drivers door just won't do anything, I picked up an aftermarket actuator from my brother in law, and when I went to change it I had a good hour to hour and a half. Only to find it wouldn't fit. So suffice it to say, all of them would take some good time, or a hefty labor bill from the dealer. I'm like 99smokin, I just deal with all of it, and I'm used to using the keys to open.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I talked to a friend that works at the Ford dealership about the steering problem. He told me that it was just a bad design and that I would pretty much just have to deal with it. Same with the actuators. He said that it was a very common problem with that truck and you just have to replace all four. Sucks for me....

Last edited by silverstroker; 03-23-2006 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
I talked to a friend that works at the Ford dealership about the steering problem. He told me that it was just a bad design and that I would pretty much just have to deal with it. Same with the actuators. He said that it was a very common problem with that truck and you just have to replace all four. Sucks for me....
isnt that what i said
Old 03-23-2006, 03:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Ha ha, calm down Marc!! lol......I had a guy call me from holland Michigan today about my truck. He told me that he works for a dealership, but he didn't specify for who and I didn't ask. I'm assuming it's a Ford dealer. He told me he can get the actuators for 18 bucks....wow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.