More leveling questions-Rough Country? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
More leveling questions-Rough Country?

So I'm thinking about this Rough Country kit instead of the Summit one because I realized that I wasn't looking carefully and that the Summit kit is actually an add-a-leaf which I'm thinking is a bad idea because A: I don't want a harsher ride than I already have, and B: My driver's side spring is sagging pretty badly so I dunno how it would end up looking/riding. The Rough Country kit seems like a good deal because I can get it for $350 shipped and it comes with replacement springs, poly bushings, and shocks. I'm not going to bother with upgraded/multiple shocks, a beefier stabilizer, etc...because I don't want to run larger tires, I just want the truck to sit level and have a little more clearance up front.

Now, it seems like my stock brake lines are safe with 2.5" of lift, but what else I do I need to worry about when I install these new springs? What about steering geometry, front driveline angles, etc...? I'm also going to do my ball joints and poly bushings all around while I'm there. Help me figure all this out before I spend $400!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 09:03 AM
The Fat Mod

I got some of the superlift add a leafs, and they are the same add a leaf that you were looking at. There are several people with those, and it really does not change the ride any. Usually gets about 2-2.5" out of them, and you can save money for other stuff, but that is just what I did. When we did the add a leafs, it really did not change anything up front. Good luck with it though, and this would be a great time to do a write up on it
Old 03-29-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrs3633 View Post
I got some of the superlift add a leafs, and they are the same add a leaf that you were looking at.
How bad were your springs though? I bought my truck from a pretty reputable dealer, so I think what happened was that the customer had the springs re-arched before it was traded. When I bought the truck over a month ago it sat nice and high-now my driver's side spring is almost inverted! It sat on the dealer lot for a while so I doubt there was much stress at all on the suspension. After using it as a DD and off roading two or three times I have some serious sag up front. So in short, I guess my biggest concern is will an add-a-leaf even work for me? Or am I better off getting two whole new springs?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:16 AM
The Fat Mod

If you are sagging that much, I would almost look at getting new springs. The ones you are looking at is just a small spring pack that goes under the factory springs...right? I am pretty sure I know the ones you are talking about. But, if you can get new springs up front, I would say that that is the way to go.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:23 AM
SMOKE ROLLER

I would look to replace the whole spring pack it your seeing a almost inverted pack... That's a whole lot of weight to hit a pot-hole and not see problems... The add-a-leaf is a great option, but not for you in the condition you just described, I agree totally with Logan...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
The ones you are looking at is just a small spring pack that goes under the factory springs...right?
Right now I'm looking at the Rough Country kit which is two brand new 2.5" lift springs with poly bushings, etc... brrs3663 had suggested the add-a-leafs which I had looked at before, but I was concerned about the condition of my stock springs. I'm definitely going to go with the Rough Country kit now, I was just wondering if there's anything else I need to replace to make it work.

And I btw I'll take the digital camera along so I can do a full writeup with pics on ball joints, leveling your truck, and installing poly bushings.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:07 AM
SMOKE ROLLER

The kit should come with everything you need for spring replacement, can't think of anything other than new shocks if the kit doesn't include them...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:11 AM
The Fat Mod

OK, if it is full replacement springs, then by all means, go for it. But I have seen some SMALL leaf packs that just go under the factory ones, that is what I thought you were first talking about. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
OK, if it is full replacement springs, then by all means, go for it. But I have seen some SMALL leaf packs that just go under the factory ones, that is what I thought you were first talking about. Sorry for the confusion.
No problem-I think you're thinking of the Donahue or Donahoe kit? The kit has two new springs, with poly bushings and new shocks.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 AM
The Fat Mod

I am not sure which kit it was, but I know it was a small pack that looked like they kinda went in like a block. I just found the one you were talking about for 299.99 on ebay. Looks like that one should work just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.