Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

More leveling questions-Rough Country?

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  MidwestOffroad 
#1 ·
So I'm thinking about this Rough Country kit instead of the Summit one because I realized that I wasn't looking carefully and that the Summit kit is actually an add-a-leaf which I'm thinking is a bad idea because A: I don't want a harsher ride than I already have, and B: My driver's side spring is sagging pretty badly so I dunno how it would end up looking/riding. The Rough Country kit seems like a good deal because I can get it for $350 shipped and it comes with replacement springs, poly bushings, and shocks. I'm not going to bother with upgraded/multiple shocks, a beefier stabilizer, etc...because I don't want to run larger tires, I just want the truck to sit level and have a little more clearance up front.

Now, it seems like my stock brake lines are safe with 2.5" of lift, but what else I do I need to worry about when I install these new springs? What about steering geometry, front driveline angles, etc...? I'm also going to do my ball joints and poly bushings all around while I'm there. Help me figure all this out before I spend $400!

#2 ·
I got some of the superlift add a leafs, and they are the same add a leaf that you were looking at. There are several people with those, and it really does not change the ride any. Usually gets about 2-2.5" out of them, and you can save money for other stuff, but that is just what I did. When we did the add a leafs, it really did not change anything up front. Good luck with it though, and this would be a great time to do a write up on it :bluewink:

#3 ·
I got some of the superlift add a leafs, and they are the same add a leaf that you were looking at.
How bad were your springs though? I bought my truck from a pretty reputable dealer, so I think what happened was that the customer had the springs re-arched before it was traded. When I bought the truck over a month ago it sat nice and high-now my driver's side spring is almost inverted! It sat on the dealer lot for a while so I doubt there was much stress at all on the suspension. After using it as a DD and off roading two or three times I have some serious sag up front. So in short, I guess my biggest concern is will an add-a-leaf even work for me? Or am I better off getting two whole new springs?

#4 ·
If you are sagging that much, I would almost look at getting new springs. The ones you are looking at is just a small spring pack that goes under the factory springs...right? I am pretty sure I know the ones you are talking about. But, if you can get new springs up front, I would say that that is the way to go.

#6 ·
The ones you are looking at is just a small spring pack that goes under the factory springs...right?
Right now I'm looking at the Rough Country kit which is two brand new 2.5" lift springs with poly bushings, etc... brrs3663 had suggested the add-a-leafs which I had looked at before, but I was concerned about the condition of my stock springs. I'm definitely going to go with the Rough Country kit now, I was just wondering if there's anything else I need to replace to make it work.

And I btw I'll take the digital camera along so I can do a full writeup with pics on ball joints, leveling your truck, and installing poly bushings.

#5 ·
I would look to replace the whole spring pack it your seeing a almost inverted pack... That's a whole lot of weight to hit a pot-hole and not see problems... The add-a-leaf is a great option, but not for you in the condition you just described, I agree totally with Logan...

#11 ·
There are quite a few different leveling kits
Hanger or spring

and in the case of the spring there is a singe add a lead and a progressive leaf pack and a mini pack

the single spring will force teh spring to arch adding lift also resulting is a stiffer ride.

the progressive lifts are a stack of 5 leafs that are 24" down to 8" and add the height by the additional spring thickness and also help support the stock springs. ride is better than teh single spring due to the multiple thinner leafs.

the mini pack similar to the progressive pack adds height but the leafs are shorter and will not affect the ride. and are cheaper (200)

and there is the replacement spring pack. this spring will ride about the same as the progressive springs and take less time to install due to not having to dissasemble the stock springs..

most kits under 3.0 will not require any steering modifications ,but some do include a bracket to add to the stock track arm bracket or have a replacement track arm bracket.

also anything over 2.0 of added lift will require longer front shocks .

anyone needs info on lifts feel free to email me i have been lifting SD for 5 years so i probally have installed it or tried it and gill give a bias opinion on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.