2001 just bought and had a few ???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 just bought and had a few ????

This is my 2nd powerstroke had a 96 for 8 years and just got this one. Anyways I bought this from a dealer so they had no clue on some of the mods and stuff it had on it. So It drove fine and all so I got it . Somebody has put some money into this thing at one point or another so just want to see if its all good or bad. might want to change or remove some things.

its a lariat f350 4 dr long bed , its got what looks to be a 4 inch exhaust, and a bigger turbo??????? its a garret and looks like this one...

Garrett PowerMax Ball Bearing GTP38R Turbo

Any way i can tell for sure?

It also has a usa gear cooling fan control on it??? is this junk or good seems like it makes alot of noise , clicking on and off. should I put it back to a stock clutch fan?

also I found a super chips card in the glove box ... i have never messed with the chips so dont even know where they plug in or where to look for what it has in it..... The card says its 1 code green????

also looks to have a bigger PSC powersteering reservoir and pump on it along with a fuel regulator mounted on top the motor with briaded lines.

Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

should be able to get some numbers off the housing and then you can find out what it is. garrett's came on them stock but not the 38r.

For the chip they plug into the pcm which is located on the kick panel on drivers side floor. If the chip is in it the black piece that goes around the pcm will more than likely be modified. Otherwise you have to pull that off and see if a chip is plugged into the pcm.

I've never seen or heard of the cooling fan but if it's annoying it return it to stock.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks , I will check the turbo , the PCM has a wire running from the cooling control into the port..... dont seem right to me. the port dont look like anything is in it. The port is wide open I guess its modified so maybe had some thing in it or something. There is alot of wireing on the cooling control thing , hope i can find out something on it hate to start messing with the wireing with knowing what is what...
Old 12-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

I sure would have wanted to speak to the owner!!! If he ran a tuner without gauges I wouldn't of touched it. I would remove the fan as well, the stock cooling system is fine on these trucks. Post some pics, you may have a regulated return plumbed in???? I sure hope that trans was rebuilt as you know the 2001 had the dreaded mechanical diode in the trans. If Ford did the rebuild it will have a tag on it stating so. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well checked the turbo and the numbers come back to the garrett GTP38R .
Old 12-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
I sure would have wanted to speak to the owner!!! If he ran a tuner without gauges I wouldn't of touched it. I would remove the fan as well, the stock cooling system is fine on these trucks. Post some pics, you may have a regulated return plumbed in???? I sure hope that trans was rebuilt as you know the 2001 had the dreaded mechanical diode in the trans. If Ford did the rebuild it will have a tag on it stating so. Good luck.
It does have gauges on it. Up the a piller . I didnt know about the dreaded diode in the trans.....Its got 170K on it hope its been done. Kind a newbie on the trans thing my last one had a manual...... My freind owns a tranny shop and changed the filter and fluid the other day for me , he said its got a after market aluminum pan on it and he said the fluid looked good.... Ill get some pics......
Old 12-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

cooling controler

Here is the PCM the black wire runs threw the port ... it comes from the silver nob in the above picture with selects 4 diferent stages to cool I guess.

Last edited by VOLKSWAGENUT; 12-20-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Old 12-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I wouldn't worry about the trans too much with your buddy being a tranny guy. You might want to check into an upgraded valve body though.

Have you turned that silver knob and see what it does?
Old 12-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah the knob , from what i understand it changes when the fan engages, temps or something?. If you put it on the 4th setting there is no fan drag at all the RPMs rev real quick , sure makes the boost go up real fast.

yeah the tranny seems ok . and yeah if it grenades then I will give him a call. LOL

Valve body ??? whats the scoop on this .... sorry Im kinda a newbie on the psd . thankfully my old one was a very good truck and had very little trouble. So I didnt learn the ins and outs to much. Thanks for all the help. Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.