coolant additive - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 09:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant additive

i have an 02 250 that came with gold coolant, justed flushed and replaced with zerek g-05 i do not need any additive do i ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 05:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd put it in.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

To bad you didn't read any of my replies before and that way you could have used a really good coolant, but as long as you keep your SCA's where they belong the G-05 should be okay. You need to get the test strips and my guess is you will need 2 bottles of Napa-kool to bring it up to par. Make sure you check the exp date of the strips, they don't last that long. My Napa had to order them 3 times before I got a good pack. I hope you also used distilled water and did a proper flush to get all the gold crap out. If not I would re do a proper flush ( PM me for the How To ) and get a great coolant, aka, Fleetrite, or any other coolant that meets the EC-1 rating. You won't find this at any auto parts stores but most International dealers have it on the shelf. The EC-1 coolants are good for 300K and out to 600K with the extender being used at 300K with no checking of SCA needed. You will also need 20-24 gal of distilled water. I would also add a coolant filter while you have it empty and switch the upper rad hose to one from a dual alt set up that goes around the fan belt instead of through it. PM me with any ?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:03 AM

?

i was told since mine came with this type of coolant witch came in some 02 and up that you do not us an additive on older trucks that came with yellow or green you do use it. is this not correct.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:39 PM

g-05

also the g-05 already comes with sca in it. it is the gold/red color. also i do not think i would want to leave the coolant in my system for 300+ miles anyways.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I won't leave any fluid in my truck for that long, but it is good that the coolant is good for that long. This is the coolant used in the OTR trucks, and comes highly recommended by Navistar!! Use what you want, but you need to keep your SCA level where it belongs.
When the Gold was introduced it was said to be maintenance free. Ford saved tons of cash by going to a universal coolant, that doesn't mean it is a proper coolant though for diesels. Don't believe me, do the test for yourself. Take 1 cup of gold coolant right from the jug and 1 cup of distilled water and test it. You will get 800ppm far below even the min protection level. The test strips don't lie. But use what you want, I like to use the best possible, but I am very anal about my truck!!
Good DAY
Old 12-21-2009, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

subscribe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.