making it louder? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
making it louder?

I have an 01, I recently cut the muffler and tailpipe off. It was bent and the muffler beat. I started it like that(no cat on this) it was still quiet.
I put a 4 inch straight thru muffler on that I had and a 4 inch tailpipe over the axel.
Its still real quiet. i would of thought with no muffler it would have been a lot louder.
How come some peoples trucks are loud. It makes that turbo noise pushing thru the tail pipe? Sounds kind of cool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 07:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
our trucks are almost hard to make loud..engine noise makes up for it..i put on a 5" Mbrp kit..its loud now..sets off most alarms on my street..i was very impressed..i too wanted the deep bark almost like a cummins, but its hard to get..
Old 12-19-2009, 08:02 AM

i have heard ford that are loud, not really the kenworth or cummins sound but like a air hammering thru a turbo loud. I have to o 5 inch turbo back? No muffler 3.5" under the doors it was quiet.
How hard is it to stick the down pipe in? I dont want to pull a transmission to have room?
Old 12-19-2009, 08:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
well a 5" pipe will not fit to the turbo without some minor mods ( that i know of ), the mbrp kit comes with a 4" down pipe leading to a 5" system..they call it a 5" TB but its not..it took be 45min to replaced the entire exhaust with taking the old off..the hardest part is getting the clamp off the turbo housing..with a bit of anger and some minor taping it came right off..ill have to get some sound clips of this system.. Turbo whistle is hard to get..unless upgrading the turbo or using an ATS housing ive heared helps a bit but is mostly used for getting rid of surge problems..
Old 12-19-2009, 08:14 AM

do you think a 5" system is louder then a 4? I would not mind a 4 with no muffler using straight pipe? But if thats the case I dont think it would be louder then the stock 3.5 cut off,like i had it?

Last edited by melmount; 12-19-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:28 AM

5" is deeper than the 4" If your looking for the turbo whistle take off the foil on the IC pipe and add a Wicked Wheel. The exhaust won't be real loud sitting in the drive way take it out on the road and you'll notice it's extremely loud.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have heard trucks with the EBPV delete (taking the flapper valve out) and the truck sounds a little better.

In addition to your EBPV, the piece that is in between your down pipe and turbine housing has a small opening. They make a replacement piece that has a bigger opening.

I would say delete the EBPV and get that bigger opening piece, go to a 4" downpipe into a 5" straight pipe and that would be the most I could say to get you more sound.

Except maybe a ATS compressor housing and more fuel.

Single shot injectors sound better too......in my opinion.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:31 AM

whats the piece called between the dp and the turbine?
thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.