Which Antifreeze to use - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which Antifreeze to use

I need to change the antifreeze in my truck. It currently has the Ford Premium Gold. I went to three parts stores, they only sell green, works with everything or Dexcool. Can I use the works with everything? I do not want to go to the dealer. The last time I was there, I did not even get a kiss when they were done with me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

I have green in my truck now. Probably in the spring I'll be changing mine. I plan to put green back in. I don't think I've even seen the Gold stuff.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
DO NOT switch between Gold & Green. Use whatever "type" it came with. Mixing the new with the old (Green) can cause Jelling of the green and other problems (really hard to get it all out) Keep it as it was.....

Ford Gold is Total Crap Don't skimp here, coolant is Much More Critical in a diesel because of the cavitation on the outside of the cylinder liners. REALLY NOT a place to cheap-out...

Good, Extended Life Coolant is not available everywhere. International Dealers carry Fleetrite, Rotella ELC is good. TruckStops will often carry the "good stuff". Again, Forget Ford. Caterpillar dealers are a good source....

Expect to pay around $100, Don't buy "mixed 50/50" you're just paying to ship & contain water.

A LOT of this has been covered here, try a SEARCH, read-up a bit...

Oh yea, "Universals" are crap too

Last edited by NoRalPh; 12-18-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

the IH Fleetrite stuff is supposed to be good for 300K (600K with booster @ 300K)

get the red concentrate if you go that route.

flush you're system COMPLETELY. -search the forum for NCHornets writeup on flush procedure. -check back if you can't find it.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the replies. I knew not to mix types, but did know it was that big of a deal. I did a search, and learned lots. I have parts on order for the oil cooler that will show up on Monday. Guess I can wait till then for the anitfreeze. Thanks for the help. And have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:08 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

You can switch between coolants!!! I have ran the green, gold and then I got smart and finally switched to the Fleetrite ELC. You just need to make sure you do a proper flush, PM for instructions if you don't know how. I fell for all the hype of the Gold in 2003 and switched, as many PSD owners did. I only ran it for 5-10K and I decided to check the SCA protection level. It tested 800ppm and every jug of Gold I have tested since tests the same, 800ppm and min protection is 1200ppm and ideal protection is 1600-1800ppm It will take two bottles of Napakool to bring the Gold crap up to 1800ppm. But Ford saved a killing by going to one coolant in all their vehicles. The green is a okay coolant as long as you maintain SCA levels where they should be. But if you want the best get a true ELC. Color means nothing, Rotella and Fleetrite are both red, because they are exactly the same coolant, just different label. Forget color and look for the EC-1 rating, you won't find coolant that meets the strict EC-1 standards in any auto parts store. International has it on the shelf, make sure you buy the concentrate not the 50/50 and you will need 22-24 gal of distilled water. I have discussed this often, use the search feature for more info or PM me.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:21 AM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How many gallons of the concentrate will you need along with the 22 gallons of disstillied water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.