Batteries, Whats good? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Batteries, Whats good?

my truck wouldnt start this morning, for the first time ever, batterys couldnt handel -2* so time for new batts. whats the best ones for the money?
I know I need at least 850cca right?
I have ever starts in it now gonna see if they'll warante them but I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 03:45 PM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I run Motorcraft 850cca, they havent let me down yet
Old 12-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Go with the biggest (C-C-Amp) you can fit. I like to buy mine @ NAPA, because they will stand behind it without question. Other places might as well, but NAPA is close and I've always had great luck with NAPA batteries. The ones in my skidder are 4 years old, and it's never had an alternator...I just pull them and re-charge them every so often depending on the temps. All it does is start it, they last a good long while.
Also, the starter in my 550 went, and it acted for all the world like dead batteries...it would start better with a jump, but I replaced the batts and it started the same..
meaning barely. A new NAPA re-built has done me well the last year..
And plug your truck in..mine started this AM with no glow plugs just by being plugged in...makes a HUGE difference. BTW, I live about 35 miles north of you in Effingham NH.
It was -6 here last night..
Old 12-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

well just got back from wallyworld batts are almost 5 years old!
so no free replacement
there on the charger now and truck's pluged in so hopefully I can get a few more days out of em till I can afford new ones
Old 12-19-2009, 05:12 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I don't believe the CCA #'s on some batteries. Consumer Reports had the Duralast Gold's as #1 and I bought them for $72 each. They lasted 1 day past the 3 year mark, after some arguing at Advance they gave me 2 new batteries, but I noticed they are now well over $100. No way!!! For that money ask for the Ford OEM battery, my stock ones lasted 6 years and they were 850CCA and the Gold's were 875 CCA, but they weren't nearly as good.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:38 AM

I just installed 2 1000 cca batteries. 1 is a deep cycle battery for super cold starts. Do yourself a favor though, about 3 weeks ago I replaced just 1 battery, the other said it was fine. A week ago I was driving down the road and BOOM, the battery I didnt replace blew up! Sounded like a bomb, scared the $hit out of me. They said because they are wired together the stronger battery was fine, but the alternator was trying to get the old battery up to where the new battery was, and it couldnt take it.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
you dont "have" to change both at once, usually one follows the other but i did testing to the older one before just changing 1 and it was fine..its been 5 months now and not a single issue..both batteries read great and have no issues!

I kept with the Ford OEM batts, seriously there awesome..ive tried napa etc nothing seems to last as long!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:32 AM

uh huh, both of mine read great to after I changed the one, and then kaboom. I talked to Battery Warehouse, who specialize in the field, and they said they should be changed at the same time. If you dont its up to you, its your truck, but I can tell you it was no fun taking out a blown up battery, and the fact that it ate the paint off the inside of my hood. Better safe than sorry. Look at it this way, you can take the chance and save yourself $100, but if it blows it could cost you way more in the long run, maybe even your life. I am thankful it didnt blow up in my face.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Optima red tops here.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Super Duper Duty

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
when mine went i went with Motorcrafts. they were a little cheaper than the Dekas. was a toss up between the two
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.